Thanks for nothing

By Guess I'll Die - 13/04/2024 07:00 - United States

Today, I tried to confront my parents with the fact that they're almost certainly going to outlive me unless I radically change my lifestyle, and that I needed their assistance to help me stay on track. I only realized after my impassioned speech that they were ignoring me the whole time. FML
I agree, your life sucks 299
You deserved it 357

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's up to you to save yourself, mate. There is no cavalry. Stop trying to make your problem other people's.

you you need the help of others to stay on track your not ready to change. it sucks that they weren't listening but I hope have haven't let that stop you.

Comments

It's up to you to save yourself, mate. There is no cavalry. Stop trying to make your problem other people's.

tiptoppc 19

While I agree that people need to take charge, asking others to help you keep accountable for it is not the same as telling others they have to support you and make you go towards a goal and blaming them if you don’t succeed. OP is asking a reasonable request as everyone needs some support. He’s not asking them to make him do the act, because support takes on different ways. Some could be simple reminders of better choices to make towards goal if they see them looking down wrong path, others may be seeing if they need help for achieving their goal, or what can they do to encourage better choices and acts. This isn’t them being as large as a couch and bitching their family is responsible for the predicament they are in. No, this is a true fml. They literally showed they do not care if a person needs minimal assistance to be healthy and stay alive. The FML is that it seems they don’t even love OP. Sorry, this is way different from what i see. I’ll laugh at someone that is dropping food all over their large shirt with belly drooping under while eating their 15th hamburger and wheezes to reach the fries. I will NEVER laugh at a large person exercising at a gym, and may come by and either exercise with them or offer very encouraging words. Self improvement is an honorable thing, but it doesn’t take much to encourage someone who wants it to help their life and health. OPs family is garbage. I hope their friends are better than their family, because this apathy disgusts me. OP, I struggled with weight all my life due to depression, and I’ve gone anywhere from 240lbs down to 135lbs at 5’8”. The best thing that encouraged me was my dad when he did research on eating healthy and exercised and went from 340lbs to 260lbs. I saw his change and I slowly changed and wanted that too. I went to gym with him. I ate healthier and i’m now on my 3rd major weight loss battle of my adult years and am back to 170lbs struggling to keep it down. If I can do this, you can do! Whatever you need to be healthy, i’m so happy you realized you needed to change something and are willing and wanting to do it. Good for you! I’ll be rooting for you! Your rock!

Try your Facebook friends or the comments section on YouTube. They will hound you until you get the health habits of a Costa Rican 100-years-old. P.S.: The trick for living long is to drink one (1) unit of alcohol a day.

you you need the help of others to stay on track your not ready to change. it sucks that they weren't listening but I hope have haven't let that stop you.

MxCrix3333 10

I'm sorry your parents didn't tune during an emotionally vulnerable speech. It's a hard place to recognize these things and decide to try and change. But, I want to remind you that you can't make other people do anything for you or assume responsibility for your choices, even people who love you as dearly as your parents. To expect that would be to act controlling and codependently. Maybe instead of a speech at your parents, have a brainstorm conversation with them where you ask for help and hear their input. Also, the Internet is a great place to find support groups and things of this nature. Finally, therapy can be hugely helpful in making big behavior changes, like with modalities such as cognitive or dialectic behavior therapy. Best of luck to you.