Thanks but no thanks

By Anonymous - 04/07/2012 18:01 - United States

Today, I called my mom to see how she was doing. She quickly hijacked the conversation and said that she's signed me up for a dating site, because she feels bad that I can't find a decent man. I've been dating my boyfriend for seven months, and she's seen me with him multiple times. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 526
You deserved it 2 400

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Op must be Selena Gomez. Justin Bieber isn't a decent boyfriend. Or girlfriend. Or singer.

Comments

If she's really old might want to get her tested for Altimerz

That was plagued with grammatical errors.

Schools today must not teach English anymore. Even a backwoods country bumpkin like myself knows the proper use of English.

AnyaS 19

20, "like me" Guess you don't.

"like myself" is perfectly acceptable grammar in that sentence.

"like myself" sounds more better. Let the real fourth Reich Grammar Nazis do the work.

More better? Not even close to grammatically correct Unless that was a joke

Greenie - In that situation, "like me" is preferable. "Myself" really should only be used in a sentence like "I can do it myself." People tend to use "me" and "myself" interchangeably because they think "myself" sounds more intelligent. Forlorn420 - Of course A_TEEN was kidding. It should have been "more betterer".

AnyaS 19

You need "I" in the sentence before you have "myself", e.g., I had that given to myself.

This thread made me feel as if I was at school and the teachers were arguing...

Did you forget how to spell "Alzheimer's" again?

I think everyone missed the whole "decent man" part. OPs mom knows about the boyfriend, just doesn't think he is decent

I do not understand people's dislike of grammar nazis. If it were not for us there would be very few people who knew how to write English. I think the educated of English has peaked and now we are reverting back to the age when the masses couldn't read.

*scratches head* Who's right? Greenie or Doc? Now I don't know which is right! :o I think people say 'myself' more often, but grammatically 'me' is right?

madgrinchhatter 12

38, of course it was a joke

dcg1375 7

Then again there are the times that the grammar nazis take away the fun of watching the idiots. Sometimes grammar nazis are like trolls. Rather than continue the conversation they move it to...grammar.

DocBastard RESUME! We have all missed you.

83: That's a bit of an exaggeration… the fact that we're all enjoying FML, for example, proves that we can all read regardless of how well we can write. I also think that just as many people can use grammar properly now then before this "peak" you speak of, but now that we have the Internet people are going to be pompous assholes about it since it's an easy way to say, "You're wrong and I'm right. I'm smart and you're dumb. Ha. I wish everyone was as educated as me." Some people learn English as a second language and are a bit shaky with grammatical rules. Even if you speak English, schooling is still necessary to understand the finer points of the language. I know I'm not great with grammar- you can probably tell from reading this comment- but you pointing that out to me (or anyone for that matter) is kind of useless. No one will listen to you other than grammar nazis who will turn the thread into, "Baaaw, illiterates suck and we are the only smart people left." I don't hate grammar nazis or anything, but sometimes they should get off their goddamn high horses. /longass rant

114, if you speak English you better learn how to read and write it properly. No ******* clue how some people even make it out of high school.

114 your comment was too long to reach the thumbs up button on my iPhone.

114 - Apparently you are one of the many that the "pompous assholes" have been targeting. Learn the difference between then and than!!! (One of THE WORST problems with a lot of people's writing, and it's pretty simple.)

Ha, maybe this is the OP from the earlier FML about her dad giving him a second chance while seeing him getting chased by the police. XD

iLOLatURpain69 7

See, just because she signed you up for a dating site doesn't you have to use it....

It would benefit both of you for her to sign herself up to a dating site, not you.

Parents always have different opinions because they want to "protect" their babies from harm. So don't worry about it too much! Unless he truly is sort of wonky.

This is precisely what I was thinking. Maybe mommy doesn't think this guy is a decent guy.

lorenzoman77 7

Your mom is mean op. maybe you should get her back by signing her up for parenting classes and tell her shes delusional and threaten to get her medication?>:)

lorenzoman77 7

Yea, I don't know where I was going with that one, maybe the pressure of getting third, but I reread my comment and saw the first couple parts were rude so I tried to edit it out and it didn't let me. :/

lorenzoman77- If your not first, your last.

78 - You spelt "you're" wrong... Twice.

86 - Sorry. I'm not that concerned with my grammar while bored at 12 am. And 'your' wasn't spelt wrong, it was used wrong. If you're not first, you're last.

Op must be Selena Gomez. Justin Bieber isn't a decent boyfriend. Or girlfriend. Or singer.

First with the Twilight comment, now this tortured connection? Jeez, you must be really, really desperate for attention and/or approval from FML commenters.

This is not youtube! Get out of here with the justin bieber references!

I'm really tired of people hating on Justin Bieber. I dont like him a lot, but i dont see why everyone feels the need to be so mean to him. He doesn't even look like a girl. And he has some actual singing and dancing talent. Im not saying he's amazing but he certainly doesn't deserve all the hate he gets.

*sigh* Here we go with the flames. *calls the fire department*

Alright fine. I'm sorry for attempting to be funny. I'm sorry for having an opinion. I'm sorry for not keeping my goddamned mouth shut. Happy now? Leave me be. Please. -_-

hotPinklipstick 24

Normally I don't jump in on Justin Bieber debates but I do have to agree with 23. The only reason people hate on Bieber is because they have nothing better to do. The kid has a talent and became rich before he hit 16. How many people on here can say the same thing? I can bet almost none. Leave the kid alone. Quite frankly I don't like his music but that is no reason for me to talk shit about him. I like country music, but I don't trash every other singer in the world because they have a different melody then I prefer. Seriously grow up guys.

KiddNYC1O 20

23- Exactly. Well said. Squeaky, I assume you said he isn't a decent boyfriend as a joke but I'm sure a lot of people would actually state that without actually knowing for sure.

I don't like Justin Bieber's music and everybody needs someone to hate and everyone knows about Justin Bieber so they pick on him. Without a villain there is no hero.

julesrules2 2

As much as I love JB i still think the jokes r kinda funny.. I hate it when people get all deffensive and are all in love with him And I hate when people r hatin on him! He's just a teen boy... And really guys? The kid was just tryna be funny, chillax

Why is everyone jumping on Squeaky? I found the comment amusing. If you don't like it or found the comment offensive, thumb it down. Don't bother attacking Squeaky personally for voicing their opinion, after all, this is the internet and everyone has freedom of speech.

dominic1221 6

Yeah, everyone does have freedom of speech, kind of and within reason. That also includes the freedom to publicly disagree with people, so uh... who are you to try to shut down their freedom of speech?

Personally, I think Sqeaks is an instagator... But he is 13 so it's understandable teens at that age usually hate the world, BUT I do have to agree with him about voicing your opinions. On this site to voice your opinion is a no go, if you don't conform with the majority it's like the Mob is after you! You get a bunch of insults slapped around towards you just by stating how you feel about the fml. And the mods will delete your comment...too, for not conforming! So free speech is limited especially if you disagree with the vast majority! Seriously!

Sofia94_fml 15

I think the exact same way.

88 - You make it seem like a crime for attempting to create peace within the thread. Yes, admittedly I did suggest not attacking Squeaky personally, but never once did I say anything along the lines of shutting anyone down for their opinions.

egc573 40

Well, subtlety clearly isn't her strong suit. But if you like your boyfriend well enough, you'd better tell your mom to get used to it. It sucks that she isn't enthusiastic about it, but it's your life. Do what you want.

Though it's extremely insensitive of her not to respect your decisions, perhaps this is a hint that mommy doesn't approve of your current boyfriend. Think about it for a few minutes and you might see something you didn't before, if you decide she's wrong, then there you go. All the same, shame on her for not being more tactful about it.

But wouldn't she then being trying to find flaws in her boyfriend? That would only lead to problems because then she will find faults in him that she created unintentionally!!! Sorry I'm tired :/ i don't know why I put multiple exclamation marks.

perdix 29

Your mom doesn't think he's a decent man. Only time will tell, but the smart money is on Mom's assessment.

You must have some non-existant life to imitate perdix. Kneel before him, piss monkey.

It is I, your nemesis! Kneel before me *Evil cackle*

TriflingAllDay 6
perdix 29

I believe it's spelled "Old Timer's Disease." YWIA

Airman1988 9

Yes because all the "decent" men come from dating sites Hah

insertnameherr 11

Well, maybe she is right. If you're dating assholes who don't treat you right then YDI. If your boyfriend is sweet and gentle then your mom is a bitch. FYL.

TriflingAllDay 6

I think your profile picture just made me vomit a tad.