She's lost control again

By wellgreat - 14/04/2009 05:11 - United States

Today, I was in the Student Union when a man a came up to me and asked if I wanted to be in a study to see how men acted differently when working with attractive women. Flattered and taken aback, I agreed. He then told me I would be part of the control group to see how they act around plain looking women. FML
I agree, your life sucks 59 519
You deserved it 6 511

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's just rude... they could have at least you keep your thoughts that you were the attractive woman.

Yeah I agree with number two. That's a bad experiment, you don't tell the control that they are the control. That's like telling a group that they are getting the placebo, it's kinda ruins the experiment.

Comments

thank you #28 there are still intelligent people in the world lol exactly what i said.

pfft. In my experience they try harder. Plus why not be the biggest pimp of the control group. Rather than not have a chance in the 'attractive' group.

Maybe the true experiment was to gauge reaction when subject was told s/he is less attractive. (I'm sure your are just fine looking)

Yeah, maybe he wasnt telling the truth about the study, maybe they were studying people to see how they would interact with people when told they were in a control group of plain Janes... people probably act different when told they are plain as opposed to beautiful, could be a study on self esteem... who knows... but hey, if this is real, at least he didn't tell you that you were in the fugly group!

Raine_Sage 0

28: No. Someone said this above. Being a confederate means you're in on it. In the Milgram experiment, the "learner" was a confederate. The experiment wouldn't have worked if the experimenters hadn't told him what to do beforehand. Same with the Asch conformity experiment, where they were also pretending to be participants.

There's nothing wrong with being plain. In any case I don't think this is real. Like people have mentioned before me, you don't tell the control group they're the control group.

Maybe if you had put out he would have let you into the group of cool people.

To everyone who is saying that she shouldn't have been told she's in the control, it doesn't matter since she was not a test subject.

tash14 1

Number 22 has a very good point and that is completely plausible. However, if the experimenter really is doing what he said, that is a fail on his part. Number 40, you aren't supposed to tell someone what group they are in, even if they are the control. In this case, the men are being looked at to see how they react to two different groups of women. The women should be acting the same way, doing the same tasks, interacting in the same way so that the only thing different is the way they look (the IV or independent variable) and the men's reactions would be the DV or dependent variable. You think if you tell a women they are in the "plain" group they are not going to try extra hard to get attention from the men? To look nice? To act flirtatious? Or maybe they'd even be extra shy.. there are plenty of ways a woman could react to being told she is "plain" going into this situation (and even women told they are "attractive" could act differently). So, an experimenter shouldn't tell what group the women are in. Again, unless that isn't what the experiment is on at all like number 22 and various others have said. Either way, you'll most likely find out at the end of the experiment at the debriefing.