Gaslighting 101

By Anon - 25/09/2023 20:00 - United States

Today, I volunteered to be a "mentally stable" person in a psychology experiment at my university. Little did I know, they'd paired me with a psychology grad student who asked me a series of increasingly bizarre and personal questions about my life. I ended up questioning my own sanity. FML
I agree, your life sucks 646
You deserved it 134

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You think you're "mentally stable?" I'll bet you think you are an above-average driver, too.

When someone is searching for a "mentally stable" person, you can bet six beers it's for testing the person's mental stability. It's like asking for someone who can "work in a fast-paced environment".

Comments

You think you're "mentally stable?" I'll bet you think you are an above-average driver, too.

A lot of people are mentally stable. Probably most people are mentally stable. I'm not sure if this is a joke or if you're projecting. If anything all that this interaction proves is that people can try to gaslight you and as humans we are susceptible to that type of thing. There's a lot of crazy garbage like this going on in the world right now anyway.

I've read some pretty wild stories about people who are committed to mental institutions back in the day that probably shouldn't have been. They were treated in much the same way I imagine you were. You can read the stories. There's tons of them online. One of the first people to expose it was a female reporter named Nellie Bly. She got herself institutionalized on purpose just so she could report her experience. It was kind of bittersweet though because although there are less people who are forced to go to institutions there are also thousands and thousands of people who live on the streets nowadays that really should be in an institution.

Just in case anyone is cognitively impaired here I'm not suggesting all people living on the streets should be institutionalized. That should have gone without saying but I've read through comments on FML that tell me otherwise.

When someone is searching for a "mentally stable" person, you can bet six beers it's for testing the person's mental stability. It's like asking for someone who can "work in a fast-paced environment".