Rummaging around in my stuff

By Chesty Larue - 07/08/2015 00:29 - United States

Today, I got fired from my part-time job, because I insisted on keeping my phone in my pocket and never using it, instead of putting it in locker without a lock or security camera, that anyone can go through. The manager found out by searching my locker for the past 3 weeks. Ironic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 512
You deserved it 2 387

Same thing different taste

Top comments

But how can they fire you for having your phone with you? Isn't there also a law or something that says work places must have a secure (locked), clean place for personal belongings? Damn, fyl op

Comments

Mooglefox 23

Gotta love those catch 22s.

I bet OP as an iPhone 6 Plus. They must have wanted the phone and was disappointed when they did not find it in your locker.

I like how everyone jumps for the Well if the locker doesn't have a lock just leave your phone in your car or don't take it to work at all. What if the OP doesn't drive to work? What if they make other arrangements such as an Uber or a cab for which they would need their phone at the end of their shift to get home? What if they ride the bus? Would you really want them doing that without some kind of means to contact someone in the event of an emergency? I realize that we live in a day and age where the vast majority of people drive but it is still possible to not own a car or to not yet have your license. Also to those saying "Put your own lock on it", perhaps there is a rule that says they can't. I've worked for a couple of places that said locks must be provided by the company because management must be able to have access to the lockers.

Yes, I'm aware of that. If you had read what I said properly you would realize that I was speaking to all the people telling the OP that they should have just bought a lock and put it on the locker themselves. Obviously there is no lock on the locker if a lock needs to be put there. The place where the OP worked may not allow people to put locks on the lockers specifically for the purpose of granting management access. There are companies that will give you a lock for your assigned locker and not allow you to purchase your own for the same reason. Do you follow what I was saying now?

Then keep it somewhere else, at a trusted co-worker's car or just don't bring it, we live in a world where we always making dumb excuses such as an emergency and I mean really the odds of that happening are low or not really urgent emergency calls that can't wait what ever time is labored.

"A trusted coworkers car" That runs on the assumption that they trust their coworkers that much. There are two different places where I wouldn't have trusted my coworkers with a piece of string that I may have needed, much less my phone and at one of those I actually did need my phone at the end of the day to get home because I didn't have a car or a set time off and we were absolutely not allowed to use the business phone for any reason that wasn't business related. It's all well and good to think that we live in a world where people "Make excuses" but that forgets the fact that the whole reason we invented cell phones was specifically so that people could always call someone for help and not have to go hunting for a phone they could use. As long as the OP wasn't using their phone it shouldn't have been an issue, if it was such an issue than there should have been actual locks on the lockers. Property theft is actually a pretty big issue among coworkers in business. It is less common to have customers steal an employees belongings than it is to have another employee do so.

If it was an actual locker couldn't you of gotten your own lock? (my part time job does that- provide lockers not locks and only some are watched but because none are assigned that doesn't mean much).

I guess your best idea would have been leaving it in your car...

everyone has to have a license in United States, that's like a requirement for ever thing, it becomes your ID and yeah is sort of a big deal there, cars also very cheap there and I doubt they just hire without it unless is a restaurant.

Oh please tell me you're joking. There is no requirement that you have a license in the US unless your job is specifically driving related. The DMV issues regular ID cards for people who don't have a driver's license. Also, where are these cheap cars you speak of?

Hey dumbass put it in your car and say you didn't bring it

You read and signed something that said this is allowed this isnt allowed. You should have gotten fired. Ydi.

tiredofwaiting 25

Ydi rules are rules. You did not follow them which lead to your dismissal.

olavf 4

Next job, try locking it in your car, or someplace else that won't violate your terms of employment. sucks, but that's kinda how the world works.

Sounds shady. I suspect the manager looks through people's photos. Set up a sting operation to catch him. You would be doing other women a favor if you had him thrown in jail.