Not now, Dave

By randomdude3890 - 11/02/2015 04:58 - United States - Bellevue

Today, my caring way too much about proper grammar got out of hand when I corrected my girlfriend during a talk about her dying grandmother. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 339
You deserved it 38 122

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There's a difference between caring about grammar and being a dick about it. Learn some manners.

this comment is really going to get on you're nerve

Comments

Although the topic was very sad, things like correcting grammar becomes a habit. I do hope you at least apologise, and comforted her.

You should probably work on caring less about grammar and more about your grieving girlfriend...

I will probably get a lot of hate for this, but I feel like most of the grammar nazis are people who have very little to offer besides their ability to write correct English. Language is just a tool, you're not supposed to care too much about it in informal situations. Would you like to be ridiculed for your lack of knowledge of mathematics, science, computers, history, economics etc? I'm sure there are plenty of important things you don't know. Sometimes I cringe when people talk about computers and say things that are completely wrong. Do I correct them? NO!

#18, that's a very broad generalization. I'm not defending what he did, or even grammar Nazis in general, but correcting someone is not the same as ridiculing someone, especially when it's done reflexively. Also, when you allow incorrect information to go uncorrected, the other person learns nothing, and still thinks they're correct. I'm not saying you should correct everyone all the time, but adding knowledge to the world is fun.

The thing is, IMO, that when you're talking to someone and you interrupt them to correct them, you give the impression that you're not really paying attention to what they say (which is probably the case). If you want to teach, you can teach by example. Or, if you really think it's imperative that they know they've been making a mistake, why not just let them know afterwards? I think correcting people shouldn't get to the point where it becomes 'reflexive'.

#45, I think people who obsess over grammar are also obsessing over your meaning, as well. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. You're right that interrupting someone to correct them doesn't usually help, especially in this situation. Also, although correcting someone this way shouldn't become reflexive, it seems that it has in OP's case.

Language is just a tool, and so is OP. No? I'll see myself out.

Language is fluid and is constantly changing and evolving. It has also, historically, been a way to differentiate between social classes as well as the educated and uneducated. As an English teacher, I teach my students grammatical conventions and correct a lot of grammar. However, many conventions we use when we write in English are not organic to the language and are conventions we tend to ignore while speaking-- mainly because these conventions can make our speaking overly complex. Dialects and malapropisms also affect how we speak. It kind of sounds like OP corrected the girlfriend's spoken grammar, which is a dick move. I could see if he edited the obituary or eulogy, but not correcting her spoken grammar.

I completely agree with 13, and 45. When people are always correcting someone's grammar it's not only rude but it's not helpful. I feel like those that correct people all the time aren't even trying to help (although that's the premise they use) but are merely trying to show off. It makes it seem like what the person is saying isn't important and it's insulting. Instead of actually helping the person they are only embarrassing them and making them feel bad, which doesn't actually help. If they really wanted to help they should do as another person mentioned and lead by example. I seriously hope some of the grammar nazi's on here read these comments so they realize that they're comments & corrections are often rude, hurtful, and don't actually help. And not only that, but they make themselves come across as rude, self serving, and like they think too highly of themselves and don't actually care about the other person's conversations or feelings. If you actually want to help people learn how to use proper grammar then you should tutor people that actually want to learn. You would actually be doing some good instead of just demeaning or frustrating other people. Just my opinion.

When the grammar means more than what she says, that's where you turn into an idiot.

You're having a personal conversation, you're not correcting a damn essay. If you get the gist of what someone is telling you, then there's no reason to be so anal about grammar. Especially when someone is trying to confide in you. Have some respect.

romeonsingcross 15

I do the same thing. It really takes a lot of restraint to not correct people out loud.

It's not about her grammar. It's about her Grammy.

TallMist 32

No, there's not. There's no button saying "**** your grandma's life"

PerditaDessa 38

I work as an editor, and even I can turn it off. There's a difference between correcting someone to be helpful and being a jackass. F her life.

If I worked as a bricklayer, I wouldn't feel the need to get out my tools and tuckpoint something I saw that was wrong. But if I was obsessed with brick work, I might consider it. This person is obviously obsessed. It's probably gone beyond the point of caring if it's helpful or not. Still, F both of their lives.

There's a time and a place, OP! How tactless of you.