Noooooo! Duuuuude!

By Thai rice mistake - 12/02/2013 08:04 - United States - Oakland

Today, I was super hungry and went to a Thai restaurant. The waitress left two small bowls of fried rice on the counter, and I thought they were for me. I ate one and a lady came over screaming. Apparently the small cups of rice was part of a religious ceremony. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 806
You deserved it 19 012

Same thing different taste

Top comments

cradle6 13

If you were sitting at a bar, I could understand. If you were at a table and you got up to grab the food, then YDI.

Snap, crackle, and pop: The Gods of the Rice Universe...bad mistake to take their sacrifice

Comments

What I want to know is what sort of ceremony involves two small bowls of rice, and why is someone doing some religious thing at a restaurant and not at home or their place of worship?

To the best if my knowledge there are several possible reasons for the ceremony and why they would have it at their place of work and I will try to explain. But Altar, or ScarlieC could probably explain better. First reason I know of is a 'thank you' or respect to their ancestors. They may have it at the place of work because they spend a lot of their time there so it's easiest to maintain. Or they may have helped set up the business. The second reason is for maintaining the good 'spirit' of a place. By keeping it happy it will protect against enemies whether human or malevolent spirits. Basically protection against ghosts. It's not just Thai restaurants that have the shrine. We have a bakery here with a Thai couple as owners and they have a shrine in the bakery. And it's very obvious that it is not for people to sample and help themselves. Next time I go in I will ask.

perdix 29

Ha, at first I read "small bowels," and then I had a hankreing for boudin!

madgrinchhatter 12

There were two small bowls of rice, this FML sounds like you went out alone to eat. If that is the case then why would you think the bowls were for you?

The_Honey_Badger 17

Read what Lesser #83 said in response to #75.

Satoaoi 13

lady should have put a do not eat sign next to it then.

Whenever I've seen food given as religious gift (I have Buddhist relatives) there is always a statue of their god quite near to it. I feel that OP is leaving something out to excuse his lack of judgement due to his extreme hunger. You should be more aware, OP. Also, if she didn't bring it to you & the bowls were that small, why would you think it was for you? Especially, if you were dining for one?

No matter how hungry you get you always ask first, especially at a restaurant. You deserve it here.