Noooooo! Duuuuude!

By Thai rice mistake - 12/02/2013 08:04 - United States - Oakland

Today, I was super hungry and went to a Thai restaurant. The waitress left two small bowls of fried rice on the counter, and I thought they were for me. I ate one and a lady came over screaming. Apparently the small cups of rice was part of a religious ceremony. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 806
You deserved it 19 012

Same thing different taste

Top comments

cradle6 13

If you were sitting at a bar, I could understand. If you were at a table and you got up to grab the food, then YDI.

Snap, crackle, and pop: The Gods of the Rice Universe...bad mistake to take their sacrifice

Comments

TheDrifter 23

This sounds to me like OP wasn't even seated yet and just grabbed food off the till counter by the door. Ignorance of Thai customs I can forgive, but randomly eating every bit of food you see is just rude.

I'd say ignorance (of other cultures, especially in a Thai restaurant) is rather rude. But perhaps its too big of a step up from barbaric tendencies to eat anything in sight.

68- Do you even know what ignorance is? It would be ignorance because no one has taught OP about Thai customs, so how could possibly it be rude? Ignorance can be easily rectified by casting him out of the restaurant at the very most. A heartfelt apology – accepted by the restauranteurs or not – would be a step in the right direction. Stupidity, however, is claiming anything edible within OP's line of sight as his own – much less curable, regardless of how hungry he is.

insaneygolover 9

Oh my god. YDI. Be patient! Not an asshole.

Irraesh 2

yes how dare he just assume that the food in front of him is meant for eating in a restaurant. i suppose i should stop assuming i can pee in the urinals in the bathroom

Just because it's food in a restaurant you can't assume that it's yours.

The urinal example doesn't really work considering many places do restrict bathroom access to those who aren't staff or customers. But you know what you do to make sure you're allowed to use those bathrooms? You ASK. Just like the OP should have asked if the rice was intended for them. Just because something is placed on the counter, doesn't mean you automatically eat it. Especially if OP didn't order it to begin with, and nobody told OP that it was their rice.

No, they ate the whole bowl because they hated it and didn't want anyone else to eat it.

Ohh that sucks... There was no way of knowing that

If you didn't order rice but ate it anyways, then YDI. But if you did order rice, then it's understandable.

You are impatient and rude. You could have at least asked if that was yours.

Tell her you have a ceremony, eating shit your not supposed to.

OP, you confuse me.. In the ceremony small cups are used for the rice. There are 2 drinks in small glasses next to it and it is placed next to 5 sticks of burning incense. This is all on a plate. And then put on the counter. I know this because I've prepared this daily for 8 years. How could you think that it was for you? Not knowing other customs can be forgiven, but if the tiny sizes did not alarm you the burning incense must have. Unless you thought that was edible too.. And in that case, you shouldn't go anywhere alone. Ever.

I only entered the thread to like this comment, I like it when experts (whatever their area of expertise) clarify things.

Most people would probably do what the OP did, if you're gonna have food in your religious ceremony at a restaurant then don't put it in front of some random person who clearly has no idea what's going on.

TheDrifter 23

It's not in front of OP. It was on the counter. If people would just get out a little they would realize that this ceremony is almost universal in Thai restaurants.

it sounds to me, atleast from the post, that only the rice bowls were there, not the drinks and other things.

I've seen my mom prepared offerings for over 20 years. Bowls of fried rice, candles, joss sticks, a bag of tea leaves and a bag of sweets. But never have I seen her prepared utensils. In fact, of all the offerings I've seen, none places utensils there. You ate those rice with your hands?!