Make it stop

By Ashley Harn - 23/08/2018 18:30

Today, I found out I'm allergic to something in the city water. I've had itchy patches and rashes all over my body, but I can't afford to pay for the filtration system that would solve it. My landlord forbids any modifications to the shower and washing machine. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 710
You deserved it 155

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If you’re in the US, wouldn’t that technically be a violation of ADA since allergies are a medical condition and be considered a disability; especially in your case since you come in contact with the allergen every day?

boopingsnoot 24

That sounds like lead in the water to me. Or, if you’re allergic to shellfish, there could be copeopods (microscopic shrimp-like critters, the reason why NYC tap water isn’t kosher).

Comments

If you’re in the US, wouldn’t that technically be a violation of ADA since allergies are a medical condition and be considered a disability; especially in your case since you come in contact with the allergen every day?

They are.a medical condition, yes. Under the ADA as a disability, no. It’s an allergy, not a mental, physical, developmental, or emotional disability.

atomic_dogmom 11

Yea it's definitely not in my lease or anything. I've gotten a medication that's helped.

boopingsnoot 24

That sounds like lead in the water to me. Or, if you’re allergic to shellfish, there could be copeopods (microscopic shrimp-like critters, the reason why NYC tap water isn’t kosher).

You’ll have to change cities. Even if the city water is found to be unsafe, they won’t fix it any faster than Flint, Michigan. When you move out, hide uncooked shrimp in every hollow cavity in your place. Your landlord will eventually realize how much he “stinks.”

atomic_dogmom 11

Ha, so I should terminate my lease, get a new job, and pay for a new place? Yea, that's more complicated than not taking long showers, and skipping one every so often.

Living without water is a lot more complicated than you make it.

looks like you'll be taking the ice bucket challenge every day for the rest of your lease.

Get him saying that on tape, then sue his ass for gross negligence, or something.

thatslifeiguess7 16

Did you also change to free and clear soaps? I use baby stuff and all free and clear. Everything a normal person uses is off for me. Good luck

atomic_dogmom 11

Sounds like you have developed a chlorine allergy

atomic_dogmom 11

Which makes sense because when I was a kid, I couldn't stay in the pool for long periods of time. My skin would start feeling itchy.

tounces7 27

Have your water tested at the very least to see what's in it. Also, adding a filter to your shower head is not "Modifying it". Not to mention you can take it off and put it on in 30 seconds, so unless he breaks into your apartment at night, he's not going to see it.

childlessmother 16

Sorry but this makes me happy! I thought it was just me. I have lived in different cities it doesn’t work. Tried changing soaps etc... my suggestion is to take baths at night before bed and take benedryl. Good luck!