Long held grudge

By thatwas10yearsago - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - United States - Reston

Today, I found out why the girl I like won't give me the time of day. Apparently, I called her ugly and pushed her into a puddle when we were in kindergarten. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 803
You deserved it 31 699

Top comments

LiyIa_fml 8

I remember in 3rd grade, girls would call me fat. Walk around and kick my chair, I Still get sad over it to this day when I see them sometimes. Bullying is a serious issue. :/

Comments

skyeyez9 24

I am picturing OP taunting her before shoving her into something larger than just a puddle. But something large enough she fell down in, got completely soaked while the rest of her class pointed and laughed at her. While she sat there muddy, soaked, humiliated and probably cried. If that is the case, no wonder she hasn't forgotten.

Doesn't matter that you were five or six years old. It doesn't matter it was ten, twenty, or fifty years ago. You were being a vile little shit and she deserves an apology.

OhMinty 5

Its not really fair to say that op should have known better I mean I'm sure everyone has made a mistake when they were young.

It may have been a while, but you don't know how much that incident really affected her. What if you were the reason she cried everyday and grew up with low self-esteem. Never call a girl ugly.

A lot of comments berate the girl for her 'grudge,' ignoring the fact that the OP is guilty of starting this chain of events by bullying her. So he's in the right for forgetting all about it and then trivializing it when he is reminded, but she's in the wrong for remembering and still being hurt? No. Of course we all do things as children that we would not do as adults. The difference is that some people are big enough to apologize and mean it, and others are not. At my job I would estimate that about once a month or so I hear from a former classmate who shit on me. In every case, these people pretend we were friends and beg a favor, usually a cushy job for either themselves or their kid. In every case, I remind them of the shitty things they did to me then ask them why I should help them. In all this time, only one person actually gave me a meaningful, sincere apology. Everyone else just paid me lip service and only because they thought they had to in order to receive the favor. Kids do not think ahead and realize that the kid they are bullying today could be the person they want to date or want to beg for a job down the road. But that does not exuse them from owning up to their behavior and apologizing. This girl is owed a sincere apology from the OP and did not receive one and I believe he does not think he needs to give her one and that is the real essence of this.

#110. Thank you for your detailed post. You've summed up well the issues of character, actions, and consequences. I hope everyone who mentioned grudges, "get over it," etc. takes this to heart. Your post alone makes this a new fav for me.

I blush! Thank you, No. 146, for 'getting' me.

#160, You are most welcome. :) Your posts on the effects of bullying -- on those bullied and on the bullies themselves -- are among the best I've ever seen. Good to know your words will be here to help people as long as FML keeps going.

Oh my, well hello No. 173, my new best friend :) Kidding aside, bullying is a very serious issue that too often does not get taken seriously. As this post demonstrates, the victims are victimized twice; once by the actual bullying, and a second time by being trivialized by society when they speak up ('baby' or a snide 'get therapy' or 'it was 10 years ago, get over it'). Meanwhile, the bullies get away not only with the act of bullying, but also with the accountability. Society gives them a pass because they were kids and it happened a long time ago (kids will be kids, etc.). Schools are a little better about it now but mostly target racial bullying because that is what will get them negative media attention. So minorities who are attacked by bigots are protected but everyone else is still pretty much on their own. Teachers and administrators actually tend to side with the bullies, believing that bullying is a self-inflicted wound and is how the 'normal kids' herd the 'freaks.' By their rationale, if the freaks would just conform, the bullying would end. They can't figure out that often the victims have no control over their lack of conformity, like red hair or a crooked nose. It's 2012 and you would think it would be better, but it isn't.

If one of my bullies tried to be friendly to me, I would act the same way. You have no idea on how much something like that can affect a person.

ColonCreamer 9

A girl holds a grudge for something pointless that happened over a decade ago.... Wouldn't have guessed that one in a million years.

Yes, it's unfortunate that someone who is 15 is being judged for something they did when they were 5. Yes, 5-year-olds are immature and do really stupid things. Yes, it is silly to hold onto a grudge for 10 years. But having said that, I don't think I'd want to date someone who had done something like that to me unless I was really sure they'd changed. And even then, I'd be a bit wary. There was a guy who picked on my from 3rd to 7th or 8th grade. He never physically hurt me, but he was incredibly condescending, and he got all the other boys in the class convinced that I had "germs," and that I was the only girl who had them, or that mine were worse than the other girls'. In high school, we got along, and he actually turned out to be a decent person. But I still wouldn't have wanted to date him (nor would I now) because there are just too many unpleasant memories associated with him. It's not so much a grudge. It's just kind of like the feeling you get after you get food poisoning from a certain kind of meal: you lose your desire for that particular meal/restaurant for a really long time.