Stingy

By Will - 23/04/2019 02:00

Today, I found out that my friends all think, "Don't worry about it" means "It's free." I'm a few thousand dollars in debt and they back each other like a gang. Never mind all the Aussies who say it means, "Pay slowly." FML
I agree, your life sucks 877
You deserved it 3 247

Same thing different taste

Top comments

iamnoone 5

Just want to put it out there that as an Aussie I have never ever ever heard ‘don’t worry about it’ used as a pay me back later. Usually it’s a ‘when you can’ ‘no rush’ type of thing. I’m with your friends on this one, you tell me not to worry about it I’ll take it as I don’t have to pay you back

I'll second this. If a friend is $5 short and I have a little extra? I'll tell them "Don't worry about it!" meaning that I'm their friend and I've got them. If they need $100 for a plumbing emergency and I can help? That's "Take your time, you don't have to pay me back right away." If you're *ever* lending someone money, it better not be money *you* need, and any terms of repayment should be discussed up front.

Comments

iamnoone 5

Just want to put it out there that as an Aussie I have never ever ever heard ‘don’t worry about it’ used as a pay me back later. Usually it’s a ‘when you can’ ‘no rush’ type of thing. I’m with your friends on this one, you tell me not to worry about it I’ll take it as I don’t have to pay you back

I'm aussie too, dont worry about it means exactly how if sounds!

Uhm 'don't worry about it' DOES mean that you're paying and tell them to not worry about it... literally...

Sonotsuave 35

What? Whenever someone has said don’t worry about it one on one, in a group or frankly in any other context, it has always meant I’m paying for you and don’t worry about paying me back, as in, it’s on me. If it’s that much money apparently being accumulated in debt, why weren’t you clearer in the first place?

Apologize. You told them you were paying. When you saw the bill, your terms changed. Find a way to pay the money and stop picking up the tab. Maybe after an apology, you will find they may help you with the debt or start picking up your tab to help out. And maybe learn slang better before using it in a social setting so this doesn’t happen again.

Mungolikecandy 19

"Don't worry about it" has always meant the person saying it means no need to pay me back as I have it covered.

There are no Aussies who think “don’t worry about it” means “pay it slowly.” Perhaps you are an immigrant and have gotten the wrong idea of the slang? I’d explain to your friends that you didn’t know and maybe they’ll pick up the tab next time but they def don’t have to pay you back. If your debt is what you say it is, why have you been rushing to the bill? (Unless you’re Asian, we all know it’s a fight to death on who gets the honour of paying the bill!)

this is coming from an Australian. No it doesn't.

pins91 27

Um. No we don’t. When we say don’t worry about it, we mean don’t worry about it, if we want you to pay it back, we say shit like, you owe me.

Say what you mean rather than choosing to say it in such a way that implies oh o don’t know, not to worry about it. *******.