Little git

By Anonymous - 29/12/2009 00:22 - United States

Today, I gave my 7-year-old a snowglobe. I had spent the last week deconstructing it, putting an action figure of his favorite cartoon character inside, and then putting it back together. Later, I find it smashed into pieces because he wanted to "play with the toy it came with." FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 600
You deserved it 7 298

Same thing different taste

Top comments

SweetestSin 4

shouldn't a 7 year old know NOT to do shit like that?

That by the age of 7, they understand not to break gifts. Before I was 7, I knew perfectly well what a snowglobe was and that they were not meant to be broken for the item inside. I had, and still have, a certain nicely made one that I always thought was pretty. Her son may not have liked the gift as much as I liked mine, that's fine, but it doesn't give him an excuse to smash it. My thought is that, like any other mentally competent 7 year old, he knew what he was doing, he's just a little brat who doesn't appreciate what people give to him.

Comments

lolsan 0

Its a 7 year old. What did you expect?

kozmikstarz 0

That by the age of 7, they understand not to break gifts. Before I was 7, I knew perfectly well what a snowglobe was and that they were not meant to be broken for the item inside. I had, and still have, a certain nicely made one that I always thought was pretty. Her son may not have liked the gift as much as I liked mine, that's fine, but it doesn't give him an excuse to smash it. My thought is that, like any other mentally competent 7 year old, he knew what he was doing, he's just a little brat who doesn't appreciate what people give to him.

janise 2

Of course he knew what he was doing. He smashed it with the sole intent of getting the action figure of his favorite cartoon character. Any 7 year old would have done the same if their favorite cartoon character was inside. The snow globe would still be intact if the OP hadn't foolishly put inside of it something he knew his son would want to play with.

i wouldn't have, i would have gotten in trouble for purposely destroying a gift

Neither I nor any of my brothers would ever have broken a snowglobe intentionally when we were seven. That's a very old age for a kid to not know that breaking things in the house is not okay. Maybe I would have when I was younger than that, but even then I would have hidden the evidence because I already knew from experience that I would get in big trouble for something like that. Personally, I suspect YDI for not giving enough discipline. If the kid wanted to play with the toy inside, he should have known by then to go to his mother or father and ask for it.

I agree with Sappheyes. At 7, you're smart enough not to do that...

slushpup9696 12

Agreed. I would've made that mistake at maybe 4, but 7? By 7, I knew not to break things.

SweetestSin 4

shouldn't a 7 year old know NOT to do shit like that?

ikr.. exactly what i was thinking. YDI for not teaching him whats right & wrong

Kids are different. I was okay with snowglobes and figurines as early as age 5; some kids are more mature earlier than others and know how to take care of fragile things, some aren't. I don't think it's a YDI, though -- the OP had good intentions, and that's a really creative gift idea. At least he has the skill to do it again when the kid's older/knows how to take care of something like that. : )

You get an A+ for effort, so doesn't your 7yr old for choosing the nuke option. I wouldn't buy him anything expensive just yet tho.

I don't blame him. Kids want stuff they can play with, not boring dust collectors.

Yeah, 'cause any figure small enough to fit in a snow globe would provide hours and hours of entertainment, I'm sure.

when I was 5 I was given a snow globe with Mickey mouse that I loved! did I break it? no. my brother did when he was trying to steal it. snow globes are great presents

xxdakotaxx 0

can you not read? the OP said they spent the last week decontructing it and rebuilding it with a action figure put in it, and the brat breaks it

That's SUCH a thoughtful gift!! Wish my parents did stuff like that for me when I was 7...

I know seriously!! Mostly it was "Here, go play or go outside!". I chose outside and man, I got in a lot of trouble. Good times,good times...

that's not a fml. that's totally sweet!!!!! well not him destroying it. but the thought put into it was just beyond words awesome! kudos to you for being such a great parent