Listen up

By disturbedgd - 14/09/2016 11:29 - South Africa

Today, after years of listening to my coworker complaining about everything in her life, including her job, I finally stood up to her and bitched at her for complaining and not doing anything about it. She went to my boss, and now it's in my job description to listen to her when she complains. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 015
You deserved it 1 893

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Get skin toned ear plugs, and simply nod your head and make noncommittal noises whenever she starts ranting. It's what I do with my mom, and it works like a charm.

They're doing great things with earplugs these days. And nodding your head like a bobble head keeps your neck nice and loose.

Comments

This must be my sister's long lost South African Twin.

You know what must be done. She has your ear. Fine. Let her have it. Now you must slowly, oh so slowly, introduce worse and worse advice to her. Then keep an office pool to see how many failures she suffers from following outrageously bad advice. If you're going to suffer, be entertained by it.

I feel you. I have the same problem. Even if i asked her to stop she would get so angry with me! I try to ignore her and she would get mad at me for not paying attention to her. She's in her late 50s. Some people just like high school drama it seems

so what youre saying is you get paid to listen? as in u can drop ur tasks n listen? "well boss, since you assigned me listening duties i cant get my other work done"

Muskrat777 13

Guess your boss had the same idea.

Knowing South African labor law the instruction is not valid. You signed a contract at the start of employment and that is the contract, If they wish to change this it must be in consultation with you and must, repeat must be relative to the jobs specs. If you go to CCMA they will, repeat will side with you!

If you accept that, you're a butthole.

Surely they can't amend your job description for you to then abide by it if you haven't signed a contract to agree the new terms...?

Beastninja5268 15

I would have quit. If my boss told me that I had to listen to someone when they complain, I would say "Ok, listen to this then. I expect my paycheck at the end of the week, but do not expect me back ever again."