Listen up

By disturbedgd - 14/09/2016 11:29 - South Africa

Today, after years of listening to my coworker complaining about everything in her life, including her job, I finally stood up to her and bitched at her for complaining and not doing anything about it. She went to my boss, and now it's in my job description to listen to her when she complains. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 015
You deserved it 1 893

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Get skin toned ear plugs, and simply nod your head and make noncommittal noises whenever she starts ranting. It's what I do with my mom, and it works like a charm.

They're doing great things with earplugs these days. And nodding your head like a bobble head keeps your neck nice and loose.

Comments

You don't actually have to listen to her. just nod and say yeah occasionally. You'll be fine

They don't have to listen because that can not be added unless that are given an HR job.

Here's another idea: Quit, and find another job, who has a higher paying job. :).

cheshireau 26

How can it be added to your job description just like that? Aren't you on a contract? If they changed your contract you'd have to sign it.. don't sign it.

"List job duties." "Technical support, troubleshooting errors, and SUFFERING FOOLS GLADLY."

Called workplace autopilot mode, totally awesome

hahahaha omg OP ;) wtf, what kind of job is that anyway????! incredible!

oh..should've read the comments first XD haha esoteric lab!! how cool is that!! I'm with the other commenters on this one, since it's now in your job description, she needs to rewrite your contract with that specific point in it, and have you sign that, at which point you can say you want more salary for the extra work. Her just saying its part of your job isn't enough, you need it written ;) it is your right! or try taking it with humor, when she whines about stuff, sarcasm can be very well hidden in exaggerated heartfelt answers like -aw really??! Oh, you don't say??!..do you think you should do anything about it? and how does that make you feel?..- etc. Or you just don't answer anything to what she says and if she asks, well, you just don't know..sooner or later, she will loose interest in talking with you if no input comes from it..unless you answering her is also in the job description?

Do I think I should do anything about it? I'll answer that with a visual. Earlier this week, somebody moved her chair (most likely the cleaners of night shift) and she couldn't find it and she spent 20 minutes walking up and down the hall asking who has the audacity to take her stuff without even asking...even though it is company property. She stood there another 10 minutes doing nothing as if giving her "spot" the death stare. I was too confused to know what she wants and I was laughing too much at her in my head and it made me a bit scared to open my mouth because she gets murder eyes when she goes on her rants and I might just end up laughing at her at the wrong time. I've tried the sarcasm approach once unfortunately she's a bit daft and takes me seriously....Luckily the description is just to listen otherwise my advice would have been to see her problems as a wake up call at work and quit because I enjoy my job I just hate you.

CCMA can also help with that too, the work environment is not conducive to your being productive, talk to your boss to resolve it and threaten CCMA action if they do not change behavior. If they fire you to make a point sue them with the CCMA to make your point, you will get between 6 months and 2 years salary depending.

Maar weet jy kannie net daarso sit and all hierdie kak vat bra, jy moet iets doen bra!

species4872 19

#81 Your not telling him to stuff something down her bra are you?

#81 ek probeer nog 'n saak maak, sal sien hoe dit uitdraai.

nah hes saying I shouldnt take this crap it's not world domination lol

TMO2142 25

Well there is two versions of listening. one is knowing what the person is saying, other is just listening and it passing through one ear and out the next.