Kids having kids

By disappointed uncle - 01/02/2023 04:00

Today, I offered to help my 15 year-old nephew with taking care of his newborn baby. First thing I see when I enter his room is him playing Mario Kart on his Nintendo Switch, and his child with a full diaper, screaming and crying. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 273
You deserved it 177

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sonotsuave 35

Wow that’s young to be a dad. Sounds like he needs some parenting counseling and some parenting classes, and needs to learn the sense of responsibility of parenting real quick.

So you helped by taking the nintendo away, right?

Comments

JaheimXD 5

Tell him you'll call the cops for child neglect if he doesn't shape up.

So you helped by taking the nintendo away, right?

He needs to ... Switch ... to playing "Call of Doody."

Sonotsuave 35

Wow that’s young to be a dad. Sounds like he needs some parenting counseling and some parenting classes, and needs to learn the sense of responsibility of parenting real quick.

People are so quick to judge. While he probably is young and irresponsible, not being able to soothe a crying baby does awful things to your brain and some time off is really necessary. Better Mario Kart than a shaken baby. Give him the help he needs whether it is giving time off or sending him to time out corner.

No, he could have asked for help instead of ignoring his child who could get a really bad infection if not changed promptly.

Changing a poopy diaper needs to be step one, *then* optionally step 2 cry it out, step 3 soothe baby. Not “step 1: let the kid stew in his own faeces, step 2: play video games”.

If all basic needs have been tried and the baby is still screaming I support letting the baby scream (provided you know its not due to some health issue) breaks are definitely better than losing your cool. HOWEVER, letting your baby scream due to a dirty diaper is NOT okay.

When children have children… Just because something is biologically possible doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

Your nephew is *15*. He (and the presumably 15-y-o mom) should at NO point be the primary caretakers of an infant, because they're not developmentally ready for it. You need to talk to the nephew's parents, because someone has to actually be in charge of the baby, and your nephew needs to *learn from them*, not just be thrown in the deep end. Seriously, there is no way in hell a 15-year-old is ready to be the primary caretaker of an infant. You need to step up and get the infant responsible, ADULT caretakers, because what's going on now is abusing both your nephews.