It's not a phase, mom!

By cjkelly1 - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, my parents made me a steak dinner to celebrate me visiting home from college. I've been a vegetarian for eleven years. This is the third time they've done this. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 638
You deserved it 12 668

Top comments

19mandi82 0

Hmm...just a thought, but I don't think this was posted as a for/against debate. My guess is that the OP was just upset about the fact that this dinner, prepared FOR her, was full of food she has refused to eat for a long time. It sounds like the parents are one way and so they think their offspring should be the same. It's no different than if the OP was lesbian and when she got home they had the hot new neighbor guy over and tried to hook them up. I'm guessing that would give some laughs, but many more arguments that it was wrong. The fact is, the OP chose a certain lifestyle and the parents not only ignored it but tried to force their own lifestyle on her. Cut her some slack, once again...this dinner was supposed to be a "welcome home" meal.

somebody doesn't want you to be a vegitarian

Comments

BallinJ 0

I applaud your parents. Vegetarians are lame.

Maybe you should not be a vegetarian.

You still got that steak? I'll eat it...

I never feel physically better (or more satisfied) than when I've eaten half a pound of beef with my meal. It's good for you (huge amount of /digestible/ vitamins and minerals, unlike supplements which cannot be ingested properly), it tastes amazing, and it leaves me with the most wonderful feeling when I'm finished with my meal. It's a feeling that simply can't be replicated by any combination of vegetable dishes. Meat produces a satisfying, heavy feeling in your stomach that leafy greens can't touch. Every time I go out and eat some good meat, I can't help but think. "I don't understand vegetarians. Cow is simply the most delicious animal. I couldn't live without eating cow." The same thoughts occur to me when I eat some nice Cantonese-style barbecue pork... Mmmmm. I'm also with Maddox on this one. Vegetarianism is typically poorly informed. On the other hand, if it makes you feel better, I suppose you can go with it. You could be making worse decisions. (Smoking crack, etc.) I'm still going to eat as much meat as I can. The more vegetarians there are, the more people exit my dating-candidate pool, but the more delicious steak there is for the rest of us, who know how to appreciate it. No one wants bland vegetarian food, devoid of substance, except for mislead vegetarians.

Also, the OP's response is a fairly typical childish attitude that illustrates the decision to "go veg" has fairly immature roots in this person. The OP was probably a self centered brat to begin with. Have some more respect for your family. It's hard to truly understand a decision you don't personally agree with, and it's harder to remember someone's preferences (yes, that is how the world will view your choice) when you have your own life to worry about. Grow the hell up.

So, you're saying that OP should have eaten the meat? She's been vegetarian for years. It would make her physically sick. There'd be pain, gas, and likely vomiting and diarrhea. Welcome home!

LiesAreBeautiful 0

it shouldn't be that hard to remember someones perferences if it's been like that for eleven years and it's ur own freaking child! plus, i'm a vegetarian and the only one in my family, but no one has ever thought i was a brat for it. where the hell did u even get that? and like another person said, it would make them really sick to eat it. it makes me sick just smelling meat cooking.

stewpididiot 11

OP.. look in the mirror for the answer you seek.

treyarch 0

Relax people; it was a simple misteak.

it's nice to know how much your parents care about you OP.

Umbra_Fall 0

Hint hint. I think they are trying to tell you something.