It's not a phase, mom!

By cjkelly1 - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, my parents made me a steak dinner to celebrate me visiting home from college. I've been a vegetarian for eleven years. This is the third time they've done this. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 638
You deserved it 12 668

Top comments

19mandi82 0

Hmm...just a thought, but I don't think this was posted as a for/against debate. My guess is that the OP was just upset about the fact that this dinner, prepared FOR her, was full of food she has refused to eat for a long time. It sounds like the parents are one way and so they think their offspring should be the same. It's no different than if the OP was lesbian and when she got home they had the hot new neighbor guy over and tried to hook them up. I'm guessing that would give some laughs, but many more arguments that it was wrong. The fact is, the OP chose a certain lifestyle and the parents not only ignored it but tried to force their own lifestyle on her. Cut her some slack, once again...this dinner was supposed to be a "welcome home" meal.

somebody doesn't want you to be a vegitarian

Comments

Cody305 0

hahaha I'd do this all the time to my brother and sister who are vegetarians only I'd do shit like offer them beef jerky or ask if they want BBQ. this isn't a fml tho.

teaches you not to eat animals bahaha fyl

So what OP, 3 times in 11 years isn't bad at all Definetly not an FML

I honestly hope you're kidding. The FML isn't that the parents only screwed up 3 times in 11 years. The FML is that they can't get through their ******* heads that the OP is a vegetarian, after 3 screw-ups, therefore showing that they really don't care at all.

It's not like vegetarianism is a subtle dietary preference like, only liking spinach if it's raw, or tomatoes when they're cooked, or liking sausage on supreme pizzas, but not on meat lovers. Yea. Those are some of my weird-ass eating preferences that I don't expect people to get. Vegetarianism is very different and it's not like the OP went away to college and came back vegetarian. She's been this way for at least HALF OF HER ENTIRE LIFE. Her parents had to have made countless dinners for her while she lived with them. There's no reason they shouldn't know this by now. Messing it up once would have been bad enough. THREE TIMES? Completely inexcusable. I'm sorry. It just shows how little they care about their own daughter.

skyttlz 32

I'm vegetarian. meat isn't something you can stop eating and start eating it again all of a sudden. I've gotten used to it, and now if I eat meat I'll get sick. I'm also doing it for health reasons.. vegetarians getting heart disease is nearly unheard of, and we live longer than meat eaters.

You live longer? uh, the Japanese have the longest life span and they eat pretty much all parts of the animal. The key to a long(er) life is not eliminating meat but having a varied diet full of vegetables *and* meat.

LexaDear 0

but not many people do that in the US. as long as you get enough protien. but vegetarians do live longer, in a general sense.

Starfire99 0

It's also a damnsight cheaper if you're on a tight budget like I am. ;) Seriously though, I've been veggie for 13 years and I'm fit, strong and healthy between that, all the drumming I do and cycling.

It really is a lot cheaper. I just made sure to eat some eggs, lentils, beans, or nuts everyday to get my protein. Especially the lentils and beans. They are really cheap and you can put them into all sorts of recipes that don't cost much to fix. When I had to move back in with my parents (town was dying, no jobs, plus a divorce) and started eating meat again, I was getting terribly sick. Hmmmm... maybe I should start the no meat thing again, I was starting to lose some weight (which is a VERY good thing for me.) OP, you just keep on sticking to your morals AND your dieting habits. Tell your parents that they are being very insensitive and childish. You are an ADULT! Stand your ground.

Oh one bloody steak won't kill you -.-

that sucks! I'm so lucky my parents are understanding

sk8r_boiii 0

what's the point of being of vegetarian. like yea ik they dnt want cows ,pigs to get slaughtered just to get eatin but even if they don't eat them there still gonna get slaughtered to get eatin , it's not really changing anything but I could get that they just don't want to eat them cuz they didn't really do anything wrong and that meat isn't the only thing we could eat .. I could get that but then again some ppl that turn vegetarian just eat ALL fat foods and mabye like a little carrot and ranch snack btw I'm not saying being vegetarian is a bad thing , I think it's nice that u guys care for them

LexaDear 0

the less meat that is bought, the less they will kill animals to make meat if no one is buying it. supply and demand. I was an unhealthy vegetarian but most veggies I know don't just eat junk, they eat pretty healthy.

gennarawr 0

The obesity epidemic probably has much more to do with poor portion control than with the meat itself. The poor quality of cheap foods, coupled with the higher cost of healthy foods doesn't help either. I'm not against vegetarianism in any way, but I'm definitely in favor of "the simpler, the better" logic. Americans eat crap, and way too much of it.

SeedlessMe 13

Just FYI skaterboi- (And yeah, you can call me a hippie), But i basically boycott the whole process. yeah I know cows and pigs are still getting killed, but at least I know not a cent of my money goes to support it! I just don't believe in killing innocent creatures for my own pleasure. --and I'm not trying to sway anyone here, just sharing my view =)

monnanon 13

i dont like the idea of battery farming or anything like that but that did not stop me eating meat. What stopped me eating meat was pregnancy and for some reason every bit of meat I tried to eat (and I'm talking good bacon and ham) tasted rotten. I have five weeks to go and now I can't even eat chicken or eggs. Hopefully I will be able to eat some meat again once all this is over with as I do like bacon. I don't think we should be eating meat everyday, meat should be saved for one or two portions a week and then we can pay for good quality, well looked after meat. This is probably the first time in human history that meat has been readily available for all to eat everyday so its hard to justify not having it if you can afford it. Just think about what you are buying, would you rather be eating an animal that had a good life and tastes good or an animal that spent its life in a cage or small pen.

FYLDeep 25

They were hoping you'd let them eat your meal. They know what's up.

XoXoSLY 0

skittles are a product of a company MARS which practices animal cruelty. PETA would be ashamed of you "loyal vegeterian". I myself like meat eat it everyday. skittles are gross though!

meat is good for you and any children you may have