I'm doing the thing

By Anonymous - 16/08/2018 03:30

Today, I failed a final presentation. My partner, who did none of the research, presented the entire project, talking over me and glaring when I spoke up. He denied everything and the professor didn't believe me. Now I have to retake this class with the same professor. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 583
You deserved it 285

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Can you complain to the dean about this? The fact that your professor had to have seen your partner stepping all over you. Do you have any backup that you did the research? I'mm sorry, OP. This really sucks.

You should have some proof you did it like what's on your laptop or handwritten notes go to the dean to work it out

Comments

Can you complain to the dean about this? The fact that your professor had to have seen your partner stepping all over you. Do you have any backup that you did the research? I'mm sorry, OP. This really sucks.

You should have some proof you did it like what's on your laptop or handwritten notes go to the dean to work it out

This is why all my profs required we used Google Docs, Slides, Sheets, etc. It’ll show you who wrote each *word*.

Was this course How the World Really Works 101?

DMA 11

I’d recommend doing something subtle in retaliation. I know a lot of people’s first instincts would be to do something overt and demand to be credited for their work, but sometimes understated actions are more effective. Keep it simple. Maybe—and I’m just spitballing here of course—you could kill one of his pets (or siblings). You know?

tounces7 27

You can't just show him your work, and that none of it matches anything at all your partner said?

The partner might've studied OP's work at the last minute so that he could steamroll the presentation.

tounces7 27

But if that was the case, why would they have failed?

I was in a similar situation once, but it was for a group project where one classmate did nothing but copy-and-paste for our research paper. Before the due date, I was already updating my professor about her not meeting any of our deadlines and how I confronted her about it. She sent me her portion at the last minute before the due date, so I stayed up the entire time doing research and writing her part of the paper. The professor knew about it and I showed her evidence, so she ended up with a D for the paper and presentation (the rest of us got A+). If there is any way to prove that the work was indeed all done by you, you should use it to make sure you deserve the passing grade while your partner does not.

not everyone is as understanding as Canadians

I'm Canadian and when I complained about a very similar situation my prof said in the real world you cant complain like that about coworkers so too bad

This isn't school anymore (4-18 year old). You should take responsibility for your partner. You left them to their own devices while you did the work. The "real world" (as some who tries to be funny on each FML pointed out) is that you would have to unfortunately manage others, even if it's not your job to do, especially if it affects YOUR life. You could have ditched your partner at any point in time, or have gone to the professor way ahead of time as many has suggested/and have done. Complaining to the Dean about the decision being unfair will get you nowhere, you failed to prove to your professor what happened, and going over his head and the Dean deciding the fate, won't end very well, because that just sends signals to students that they could try circumvent their direct superior (which a professor is, accept it). Sure, by all means, complain to the Dean if you were treated unfairly, produced sufficient evidence that proves you did the work and still got shut down by the professor. But this is no "FML" because "YDI". Life is all about choice. You have 100% control over what you do with it, even if it's a sucky decision you have to make and negatively impacts you.

chessu 21

While I agree that you should've taken action earlier and going straight to the dean is perhaps undermining the professor a little bit, but if you've got proof to back your story up now, do it, cause it's better then having to retake the whole thing.

I can see why you chose the name Zuckerberg. You’re an asshole who can’t empathize with humans

Let me guess, you're the one that talked over him and took credit for the presentation without doing any work?

AlyCo55 12

Before I had a group with a partner who did none of the work so we didn’t put her name on it (she even left us when we were going to present)

Destroy the project no one getting credits off me and I did all the work