Bad job

By Anonymous - 17/04/2021 23:00

Today, I confirmed that my professor hates me. Weeks ago, I failed a paper for the first time, so I went to my professor, apologized profusely, and discussed my revision plan. I got his approval on my conclusions and added all the details he suggested. I then submitted my paper. I got my grade this morning: C-. FML
I agree, your life sucks 791
You deserved it 259

Same thing different taste

Top comments

1. It's better than a failing grade at least. 2. It's possible that you included the information he approved poorly? Going over ideas doesn't automatically mean that the writing is better or more cohesive.

Actually, if you average it out, you got an F the first time, and an A- the second, leading to a C- grade. Atleast that’s how it’s always been done when I was school with the only professor that ever allowed me to redo anything

Comments

1. It's better than a failing grade at least. 2. It's possible that you included the information he approved poorly? Going over ideas doesn't automatically mean that the writing is better or more cohesive.

Actually, if you average it out, you got an F the first time, and an A- the second, leading to a C- grade. Atleast that’s how it’s always been done when I was school with the only professor that ever allowed me to redo anything

It_gets_better 19

I thought the exact same thing. In cases like you're describing, I'm always so surprised by how entitled students are to getting a good grade. Like sometimes you don't excel at something and you need to accept that and move on. You can't always come back around and perfect everything when you feel like it.

You write a bad paper and that means he hates you? Way to take responsibility for a mediocre paper.

Michael Sawyer 11

be happy that your Prof let you REDO the paper. If I was your Prof I wouldn't allow it. You fail your paper, then you get your failing grade for that paper and you do EXTRA Work(NO REDOS) to raise your grade. Seeing all you spoiled little s_its act like the world is out to get you really pisses me off.

You wouldn't allow a student a resubmission opportunity that all students have according to the syllabus?

Actually I would say he did you a solid. Most professors won't accept do overs at all.

I work in tertiary education and a common rule in my country is that when resubmitting a failed assessment the new highest grade you can get is only the minimum pass mark, so C- or 50 (regardless of how well it actually is the 2nd time e.g. B+ quality). I suspect this is what has happened to you OP so don't be disheartened and make sure to apply his advice to your next assessments.

OP here! A few points of clarification, a year later-- 1. It was an analytical paper (humanities-based) and all docked points were based on the content-- or, more accurately, what I left out. It was, honest to god, all stuff that he hadn't mentioned when we met, and which my previous courses hadn't prepared me to come up with on my own. 2. Revisions were built into the syllabus, so that all students had the opportunity to submit a final draft which had a higher weighting than the first draft. I'm surprised it's not more familiar to people-- each of my study areas had at least one class that took this approach so I assumed it was common. 3. I don't want to relive it again but I had beef with this professor from previous years too. He gave very different treatment to a classmate than he did to me. That's all. It's hard to fit much into the little submission boxes!!