Light 5

By nograd4mee - 08/12/2010 10:30 - Germany

Today, I held a presentation about my masters thesis. Turns out, my professor never ever actually read the drafts I'd given him, but decided to rip me to pieces in front of everyone, saying that the topic isn't worth researching. I've been working on it for six months. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 233
You deserved it 2 723

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Tasanasanta 0

That does not seem very considerate or professional of your professor, file a formal complaint ! >:O

You should have replied back with "Well it would have helped if you had been doing your job, why didn't you say something back when I showed you the drafts?" you need to stand up for yourself OP, because no one else will.

Comments

xShannonxSammyx 7

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
xShannonxSammyx 7

Why are you creeping my profile? But I know because my close cousins are in college, they tell me so much about it.

You're practically an expert. Tell us more about this 'college'.

HAHA you know because your cousin tells you so much? Yep that makes you the expert.

xShannonxSammyx 7

When did I say I was an expert? College is hard. Everyone knows that.

5 Why put personal stuff in your PUBLIC profile If you don't want people to creep on it?

mintcar 9

Shut up little girl. Don't make comment about things you nothing about. You're a ninth grader. Anyways OP, writing a masters thesis or a dissertation proposal isn't exactly a walk in the park. Some professors are asshole, I'm sorry. I'm a little confused though. You've been working on your thesis for 6 months and never went by his office to get feedback on any of your drafts?

He gave him drafts, but the prof did nothing. I assume he got the "yeah, yeah; looks ok".

#27 -- exactly right. If the OP wasn't receiving any feedback of substance the entire six months YDI on her as she should have been following-up and asking questions to solicit her prof's input all along.

xShannonxSammyx 7

Gee, thanks. Because I totally haven't been told to shut up multiple times.

naataalieexo 0

I'm not gonna sit here and call you "little girl", and say you don't know what you're talking about.....but JEEZ. You shouldn't make inane assumptions about college just because someone told you about it. Until you start going to a university (or a community college in your case), I suggest you hold your tongue and learn a little something called respect. And second of all, don't go on someone's page with the intention of being rude if you don't even know them. Because when you do that, people KINDA tend to assume you're belligerent and tactless.

#1, ever considered not speaking about things you don't know of? Let me tell you this - OP's situation, though it happens, is not the order of the day. OP, I feel bad for you on one hand. But it is also true that you might have wanted to talk to your professor more; though if he just kept saying “yes” for everything, I can’t say how it would have helped you. Let us know if he passed you or not. In our University, they tell the MS students to present their proposal in front of their committee even if it is not the University requirement. I can see how that might have helped in your case. Though it is usually, it is a committee member who has trouble with the proposal, not the adviser, unless he/she is a jerk. I am doing my Ph.D. and we have to defend the proposal.

Rawket_Lawnchair 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Fortuitous 0

Guys, stop being so harsh! Like oh myyy goddd, she read about it on facebook and heard all about in dat asher roth song. Goddd hop off her clit, kthnxbaiiii. **** me, I know nothing, but I have a wet pussy so I'll pretend to know shit so some pervert can message me saying how he wants to lick me! YEEHAW MOTHERFUCKERS! WELCOME TO COLLEGE, bitchface McAsshole!

legonut6 0

WOW that's the first time that I have seen a flame war on FML before. YouTube, plenty of times, but never here this bad. Lolololol

IPityTheFool 0

lol you can obviouslly tell she's prepubescent without creeping in her profile she looks like she's 10

College isn't abusive, you need to step down from your thrown, Missy.

It's not our fault that u chose to "share" ur profile.

Oh I thought #1 was a guy at first. And what do you mean "creeping"? He/She wasn't creeping. You set your face as your profile picture for anyone and everyone on FML to see. What did you expect? For people not to look at your pic? The whole point of a profile picture is so people will look at it.

You’re not an expert, you’re an asshole. Shut the **** up

DudeImBetter 0

dd you do it on medical marijuana.

c8750 2

I tried to do a paper on the physiological & mental effects of marijuana & at first my professor said it was ok but when I came in with research she told me I had to do it on something else . Sorry OP. I know how you feel

memo619 0

don't you mean smack a professor ? just saying

Tasanasanta 0

That does not seem very considerate or professional of your professor, file a formal complaint ! >:O

i would do that too. very unprofessional of your professor. he does not deserve to be teaching you. seriously, that guy needs to know his place.

RedPillSucks 31

A formal complaint would be pointless. Its a dissertation (OK, Masters Thesis, I know the difference). She's suppose to be defending her research. I know it sucks that her thesis adviser didn't read her stuff and help her prepare. She's not just suppose to sit there and be a passive observer. I know its intimidating to have a panel of people who are more advanced in the field critique your work, but you've still got to push through it. I was given an "unsolvable problem" for my thesis, without being told it was unsolvable. The point was that I should be able to figure that out through the research and defend my conclusion.

I think a complaint or at least a discussion with the prof would be best- otherwise they're getting paid for nothing and you may not learn as much as you should.

No, not at all. I'm quite surprised they've only been working on it 6 months, most of my friends working on their theses have been working on it for at least a year or two.

RedPillSucks 31

Depends. If they're doing the thesis for their PhD, then 6mon is nothing, but if they're doing it for their MS, then 6mon is about right.

Thesis implies masters, dissertation is PhD.

RedPillSucks 31

true, but some people use them interchangeably.

"master's thesis" does tend to clarify it though.

Not at all. It took my mom 2 years to do hers because my dad decided he wanted to divorce right in the middle of it and leave her with 3 kids to feed.

You should have replied back with "Well it would have helped if you had been doing your job, why didn't you say something back when I showed you the drafts?" you need to stand up for yourself OP, because no one else will.

please list your ideas for what OP's thesis was on here: I'll start. 1. in a bind, how to make a condom out of your household pet.

2. The probability of getting crabs from your roommate's sofa as it relates to playing Edward 40 hands as opposed to working on your thesis.

3. Is there a correlation between being on FML and having a sex fetish for sticking a carrot in one's ass?

RedPillSucks 31

4. The quantum effects of prayer as a method of birthcontrol versus Brownian motion and the Backdoor Methodology.

5. the relation between quantum numbers from hund's rule and the orbital notation versus the electron configuration of uranium.

6. green onions vs. chives: weighing your options

you're not allowed to earn a graduate degree without a certain amount of suffering. It' part of the program. Suck it up and work harder or figure out who you need to blow.