Great question, I'm glad you asked

By partycats - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I went to a funeral. When I got there, I hugged one of the family members and he asked, "How are you?" Out of habit, I replied, "Good, how about you?" He looked appalled and shouted "How the fuck do you think I am?! My mother just died!" loud enough for everyone to hear. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 998
You deserved it 19 922

Top comments

Jesus Christ, that sucks for you. I understand his mother just died, but seriously, no need to make a scene. It's the same as asking "How are you holding up?"

Wow, talk about over-reaction. FYL for having a family member like that.

Comments

Oh gosh, that sucks. I can see myself making the same mistake. But man, that guy overreacted horribly. /:

Well I think what you said wasn't too appropriate. Unless you said it in an undertone, so he/she heard your sympathy. But their reaction is totally rational. I mean, their mom just DIED! And that isn't something you get over in a few days. The swearing was probably unnecessary.

why would he ask you that...totally not your fault.

Yeah I agree with everyone else who said the guy did it on purpose for attention. Definiely not your fault.

he's a prick, I hope his entire family dies. :)

russianredgirl 0

thats dumb!! who says "how are you?" at their mothers funeral! it's the other persons fault not the OP

don't worry about it. it wasn't inappropriate to ask how he's doing. I understand where he's coming from, but still being rude to funeral guests ismtthe way to win many friends.

TrAnMu 0

Wow. he needs to lighten up.

"How are you?" isn't an untactful thing to say at a funeral, really. Obviously you don't expect them to say "good." You are more asking about their emotional health than physical.

WolfgangDS 0

This is why instead of "moods" i have "modes." If I'm at a funeral, I switch to "Funeral Mode" so i know what to say.