Great question, I'm glad you asked

By partycats - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I went to a funeral. When I got there, I hugged one of the family members and he asked, "How are you?" Out of habit, I replied, "Good, how about you?" He looked appalled and shouted "How the fuck do you think I am?! My mother just died!" loud enough for everyone to hear. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 998
You deserved it 19 922

Top comments

Jesus Christ, that sucks for you. I understand his mother just died, but seriously, no need to make a scene. It's the same as asking "How are you holding up?"

Wow, talk about over-reaction. FYL for having a family member like that.

Comments

SomeGuy1234 0

There's a difference between reflexs and just plain stupid. Oh and yes someone's mother dying does indeed give them reason to be an asshole to any jerk who says they feel good about it.

wtf?? OP did not say " I feel good that your mom is dead."

he really shouldnt have reacted like that. like, obviously it was an automatic reflex, and you could have meant "how are you holding up?" honestly, what a dick

Kristoffer 35

**** him. "How are you" is a very appropriate thing to say to someone who just had a loved one pass. It's his own choice to be a dick about answering.

thats really stupid, when you go to a funeral or a wake its perfectly acceptable to ask a mourning person how they are...it is the exact same thing as asking how they're holding up, or how they're doing, he was obviously a spoiled brat who was brought up as a jackass.

He shouldn't have been such a dick about it. I know he mom died but that doesn't mean he has the right to be a J@CK @SS!

Just cause his mom died doesn't give him a right to be a dick. Very immature of him to make a scene at her funeral.

Attention *****. Who the **** replies like that if they aren't trying to make everyone feel sorry for them. Not your fault.

This is why "how are you" is such a stupid greeting. People almost never actually mean it. I never, ever ask somebody "how are you" in return unless I really want to know how they're doing, even if their life is crap and they're about to vent all their troubles to me. I asked, and I expect an honest answer.

damn that sucks, but i think you were a little off your game buddy. you probably should have thought about that one. Very funny fyl.

ouch. I've made that mistake before when I was at a funeral and asked the grandchildren of the deceased how they were. I felt absolutely terrible after and I got some glares, but once people realized that I didn't mean any disrespect, they understood. I'm sure you weren't doing to be insensitive, it was just a forgivable force of habit. It's perfectly understandable for him to be upset at the death of his mother, but him swearing at you was out of line.