Great question, I'm glad you asked

By partycats - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I went to a funeral. When I got there, I hugged one of the family members and he asked, "How are you?" Out of habit, I replied, "Good, how about you?" He looked appalled and shouted "How the fuck do you think I am?! My mother just died!" loud enough for everyone to hear. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 998
You deserved it 19 922

Top comments

Jesus Christ, that sucks for you. I understand his mother just died, but seriously, no need to make a scene. It's the same as asking "How are you holding up?"

Wow, talk about over-reaction. FYL for having a family member like that.

Comments

SomeGuy1234 0

Sounds like rehab didn't work, you musta been on something to say that. He said he was doing good when the mother of a family member had just died, that's not just an oops kind of thing.

Saying "good, how are you?" back when someone asks you is a reflex. Everyone with manners has it. Do you not have any reflexes? OP did nothing wrong.

Op doesn't say that he was related to the deceased so it is perfectly ok for OP to answer that he is good. It would actually be rude for OP to lie and fake sympathy for someone he may or may not have been that close to. I am wondering why someone would ask "how are you" and not expect you to ask the same question back?

Here's for you ******* who downvoted my comment: Try thinking next time before you vomit out whatever vapid words come to your small, inconsiderate mind.

C_Wicked27 0

The OP did nothing wrong, at all; And grief affects different people in many different ways, so that doesn't necessarily make the person who shouted at the OP an asshole either.

Dude that's not your fault at all, it was a reflex; kinda like when you go to the movies and the cashier is like, "Enjoy your movie!" and out of polite habit you say "You too!" - which I've done way too many times. You were saying it out of polite habit, and it's not uncommon anyway for someone to ask how someone is after the death of a loved one. That girl was a tightwad.

Ugh, I "You Too" the movie people every single time I go. I mentally prepare to say "Thank you" or something, but every time I blurt out that stupid statement. Not once have I been called on it, so I assume everyone else does too.

It really depends on how you delivered that sentence, but you probably deserved it.

noluck84 0

my little brothers grandpa died the other day (we have different dads btw) and as soon as i heard i sent him a text saying "hey buddy, how're you doing?" and he said "im doing okay, thanks" he didnt freak out or anything. that guys a douche.

inb4 someone makes a douchey comment about "you little brother's grandpa": i'm sure they are half or step brothers :)

Wow he's a douche. It's just a gesture to show you care. Shit FYL

the same thing happened to me! except it was at my aunts funeral and when i asked my uncle how he was he just started crying... but still fyl

miss_mojo 2

Wow. his mother dying does not give him a reason to be an asshole.

good habit to consider breaking and be more heartfelt in your words regardless of the situation that occurred afterward