Freaked out

By AnxietyGirl - 24/09/2012 07:18 - United States - Parker

Today, I had to admit that I desperately need anti-anxiety medication. Apparently, when you walk around a grocery store avoiding eye contact and generally acting "sketchy", management will call the police on you, who will then pat you down to be sure you aren't shoplifting. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 603
You deserved it 2 552

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Lots of people avoid eye contact. I hope there's more to it than that to make you say you need medication. You could have left off the first sentence and had a perfectly valid FML.

sarahlove281 4

Her FML is referencing how embarrassing her anxiety is. She feels ashamed of herself. It's not necessarily about the getting patted down part.

Comments

You don't need medication... you just need to learn to overcome your discomfort and act appropriately with people. It just takes mental discipline, and there's nothing worse for that than drugs.

The_F3rris 11

I agree about the pills, but when you have a mental disorder its a lot harder to overcome than you think.

catkat1988 17

Do you suffer from an anxiety disorder? If you do, I'd definitely suggest treatment - cognitive behavioural therapy would be my suggestion, maybe along with an SSRI, as real anxiety meds have pretty severe side effects. But it's hard to tell from your FML if it's really the case. I know a lot of people who don't necessarily have eye contact while performing everyday tasks such as shopping without suffering from anxiety, and "looking sketchy" is a pretty subjective description. But at any rate, good luck :-)

If they patted you down in the store then it wouldn't matter if they found anything on you because you can just say I was going to pay for that you know, and they can't do anything about it. I would have complained to management especially when you have really bad anxiety. I defs feel for ya that would have sucked especially since there was no need for it.

Get your meds. Or brainwash yourself into thinking differently. Or remember you're but a tiny speck of nothing in this infinite universe, where your life-time represents a water molecule in the huge ocean of time, that our societies standards will be replaced a thousand-thousand times, so being afraid of being judged (which social anxiety is all about) isn't worth the mental and physical strain..

Is there no Loss Prevention working? You can act as awkward as you want and they can watch you all they want, but unless they actually see you steal something they can't touch you. If they detain and search you and you've got nothing it's called a false arrest.

Exactly! management is suppose to know better. Poor OP this should not have happened

Oh wow, you could definitely sue them. But in all honesty anti anxiety medicine does **** with you. So if you think your safe with meds your not. Just start smoking Kush.

Only problem with that idea is that the gov. Pays for your meds (at least here in Canada) but they won't pay for the chronic. which is bullshit because weed helps in SO many ways.

Don't worry OP . Anxiety can be very hard to deal with, but maybe if you have insurance you can get help. If you feel you need to , talk to a professional . Get the help if you can. Trust me you are not alone . Many people can do well with help, so check and see if you want to.

And if you don't have insurance, there are mental health services that offer sliding-scale payment plans. Please reach out for local help, and reclaim your life. Best of luck.

OP since you live in the USA you can apply for Medicaid if you do not have insurance, if you meet the requirements. If you make only a certain amount , about 1100 a month I think you qualify google it. I hope this information helps you best of luck.

ducky45 20

I feel for you OP didn't they even consider that you might've suffered from anxiety? Gosh, I can see why though symptoms of anxiety can be misunderstood but sometimes it can make situations worse