Freaked out

By AnxietyGirl - 24/09/2012 07:18 - United States - Parker

Today, I had to admit that I desperately need anti-anxiety medication. Apparently, when you walk around a grocery store avoiding eye contact and generally acting "sketchy", management will call the police on you, who will then pat you down to be sure you aren't shoplifting. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 603
You deserved it 2 552

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Lots of people avoid eye contact. I hope there's more to it than that to make you say you need medication. You could have left off the first sentence and had a perfectly valid FML.

sarahlove281 4

Her FML is referencing how embarrassing her anxiety is. She feels ashamed of herself. It's not necessarily about the getting patted down part.

Comments

Poor you OP! Hope the meds work :) it is a shame about the peelers being called.

I was once escorted out of a store by gunpoint by an officer when I picked something up, heard a person calling my name down the aisle (their kid had the same name) glanced to either side, and promptly dropped the item. A nearby off-duty cop thought I had been caught shop-lifting, pulled a gun and handcuffs out, and thus, escorted me out of the store.

Yep, fyl. I have extreme anxiety and avoid eye contact, especially at stores. Now I'm definitely more paranoid. I'm sorry that happened to you. Don't let it stop you from going out again. And explain this to a psych. They'll be able to help you out. Hope you feel better!

I used to have a lot of anxiety about shopping. I'd avoid aisles with people, and only go to tills with men or old women, if at all possible. I would walk around the store wasting time until the one of these lines was shorter, because otherwise it would look odd if I picked the longest line. One time I picked a line with a woman who was probably in her 60s (most grocery stores would only have female cashiers, annoying as hell if you're afraid of interacting with unknown women). As soon as I got to the front of the line she switched off with a hot young cashier. I didn't deal with it so well because it was at the last second, if I'd gotten into line knowing it was a hot girl it wouldn't have been so bad. I ended up acting "sketchy" too I guess and got asked for ID using my credit card. Around here no one asks for ID for credit card purchases, it's the only time anyone has ever done it. I was thinking "No lady, I'm not nervous because I'm using a stolen credit card, I'm nervous because I'm afraid of saying something stupid or you think I'm a creep, or maybe even you'll think I'm hitting on you and you'll reject me." I've come a long way with my anxiety over the last few years. I didn't use medication, just worked at controlling my thoughts. The primary reason I didn't take meds though is seeing a doctor is one of the scariest things for me (still can't do it, I probably won't see a doctor for the rest of my life).

I feel you ;u; I'm exactly the same way. Especially the doctor thing. I go into a panic attack if someone even MENTIONS one.

I was too afraid to apply anywhere after graduating because I was afraid a medical exam might be required. I finally applied somewhere. My job has health coverage and life insurance, but thankfully no medical was required.

where i am from, they aren't allowed to pat you down unless someone specificly sees you pocket something. good luck with your anxiety, ive had a few attacks. not fun.

No, you don't need to take some random pills. You need to ******* man up God damn modern solutions "here take these pills and forget your life problems

youaint 2

That sounds like you got profiled to me! Are you sure you aren't African American and live in Seattle?

The_F3rris 11

Sad. A society that doesn't even look each other in the eye. You know the solution to the awkwardness when your eyes meet? In the old days a simple smile solved the problem.

You're shy, so am I, and so is about half of the world's population. They had no right to do that.