Fast turnover

By EnglandRocks - 12/03/2015 18:03 - Switzerland - Bern

Today, it is the one-year anniversary of my mother's death. It's also the day my father chose to announce his engagement, to the whole family. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 326
You deserved it 2 757

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Go to his fiancé when he's not around, say "you know, it's the anniversary of my moms death today, and he doesn't seem to care... Try imagining how much he really cares for you. If you think that's a lot, just think, when you die, he'll care just as much." And walk away. Let that thought sink in :P

Bree12345 15

Comments

Wow, talk about disrespect. I know it's hard losing someone and don't let your dad's inconsiderate announcement keep you from giving your mom full respects. Best of wishes OP.

Steve95401 49

It's really clueless, if not completely insensitive, or his part to time his announcement on the one year anniversary. Also, what is his rush to get remarried? There are way too many instances of recent widowers marrying the first woman who gives them a little attention and the track record of these marriages is dismal.

They may have been divorced for some time prior to OP's mothers death. It doesn't make it any less inconsiderate or disrespectful - I'm not excusing that. Just pointing out that the father may not be a recent widower.

Your dad must have forgot the anniversary like most stereotypical fathers do.

#16 first off way to stereotype second of all I doubt he forgot it just seems like he didn't care enough to wait to make the announcement, if he couldn't of had enough consideration for OP'S mom who passed away then he should of had enough consideration to of thought about OP'S feelings.

I don't know if your parents were married but I've seen a lot of people, when their SO dies, do a serious rebound and jump into another marriage quickly. maybe that's what he's doing.

brendejafulable 41

Harsh, but at least he has moved on. Wouldn't you want him to be happy.

it's not a that OP doesn't him to be happy it's about the fact that he should of been considerate enough to mane the announcement on a later day, there is a time and place for everything and OP'S dad chose wrong time I mean didn't have to choose the day that marked the anniversary of OP'S mom's death.

Maybe he's trying to make better memories? None the less it's still awful timing on your fathers part

People who are hitting YDI are assholes. Sorry about your loss OP.

That's jacked up. Sorry to hear your father pulled a stunt like that OP

It's a real dick thing to do on the anniversary of your mothers death, now every year this is what you are going to remember as well. People grieve differently. I had a friend whose father was engaged and married to a new woman within a year of his mothers death. His mum had been sick for many years fighting cancer as it kept recurring. I think his dad had done his grieving even before she died. He was dating a new woman who he just met within 3 months. I think he loved his first wife, he was just ready to move on before people expected him too. I personally would have serious doubts about dating someone who was ready for new relationship within a year of their previous spouse dying. Especially if they had been with that person for over 30 years as in my friends case.

The inconsideration is staggering.. I'm so sorry, OP. Can't imagine what that's like. :/