By Anonymous - 15/05/2013 20:12 - United States

Today, I called my mother to tell her that I got engaged. In the 15 minute conversation that followed, 13 were spent listening to how this is going to affect her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 460
You deserved it 3 340

Same thing different taste

Top comments

AnthonyWheeler15 24

She should be happy for you! Don't let anything she said get to you! Congrats!

Shortay123 14

Self centered people these days. And if she doesn't want to she doesn't have to let it affect her. Live your life the way you want to. If you are old enough to be engaged you are old enough for it not to matter how it will affect her.

Comments

AnthonyWheeler15 24

She should be happy for you! Don't let anything she said get to you! Congrats!

i agree totally. my nan had the same reaction, saying we dont need to get married because we already live together so we should focus on our careers and 'forget about the bloody wedding'. at the end of the day, the only people who matter in this relationship are you and your fiance, so forget what people think. i'm sure they'll come round eventually. and if they don't, youve always got your in laws :P

Shortay123 14

Self centered people these days. And if she doesn't want to she doesn't have to let it affect her. Live your life the way you want to. If you are old enough to be engaged you are old enough for it not to matter how it will affect her.

30 - If you agree or like the comment, give it an upvote and move on. If you think it's a stupid comment or you disagree, give a downvote (like the one I just gave to you) and move on.

Thanks, 44! Just gave you a downvote and I'm going to move on! :) Looks like a lot of people followed your advice.

BreynHope 11

Don't let her selfishness affect your excitement!

Well just remember that your wedding is about you and it doesn't matter what she thinks!

feldco1 17

I'm surprised you let it go on for 13 minutes but anyway congrats on your engagement!

Call your dad he seems like he would (hopefully) appreciate it more...

What on earth makes you think that...

Hopefully she won't try to fake a pregnancy to upstage you on your big day...

peachesncreem 21

She'll probably show up in a wedding dress instead and save the fake pregnancy for when OP is pregnant.

egc573 40

I've actually seen 19's scenario more than once at some weddings--and the guests ALWAYS see the mom for the selfish dumbass that she is. It's my favorite tacky wedding "tradition", second only to the Money Dance.

RedPillSucks 31

The Money Dance? Please elaborate...

peachesncreem 21

I love the money dance! It's where the guests pin money to the bride & grooms clothes during their first dance.

egc573 40

You might know it as the Dollar Dance, RedPillSucks. Yeah, it's...one way to get money, I guess. And to avoid pissing off any people here who will (or did) do this at their wedding, I will say no more about this "tradition". Although 48, I know it a little differently. When I've seen it, guests are usually forking over the dollar to dance for thirty seconds with the bride or groom, not for the couple's first dance.

Mynameislinh 24

Let's hope when you have kids she doesn't pretend to be pregnant to try to "upstage" you. Edit: #8 beat me to it!!

perdix 29

Does your phone have a chess clock or what? Did you broach the subject with your fiancé of letting his mother-in-law move in?

I hope in the next two minutes you told her that you don't care and this is your choice.