Fast turnover

By EnglandRocks - 12/03/2015 18:03 - Switzerland - Bern

Today, it is the one-year anniversary of my mother's death. It's also the day my father chose to announce his engagement, to the whole family. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 326
You deserved it 2 757

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Go to his fiancé when he's not around, say "you know, it's the anniversary of my moms death today, and he doesn't seem to care... Try imagining how much he really cares for you. If you think that's a lot, just think, when you die, he'll care just as much." And walk away. Let that thought sink in :P

Bree12345 15

Comments

What a jerk. I am so sorry for your loss OP.

My father and step-mother began dating very early after her husband's death. They had been family friends before, and my father was also a widower. They found comfort in sharing stories of my mom and her husband, and support and companionship after loss in someone who understood. Two of my step-brothers were really angry at her for a long time, and even after 7 years of dating they refused to attend the wedding. Everyone grieves differently. My dad always made it clear that he wasn't replacing my mom. But he was still alive and needed companionship. On the other hand, I can see situations where a spouse really didn't care and perhaps things had been bad before. It all depends on the situation.

For this to happen I question if they had a happy marriage or if they really loved each other all that much, or if some other reasoning was behind it. Did you talk to him about this? No matter the reasoning, this one of things that is definitely not okay.

what's your dad supposed to do, become a monk for the ret of his life? real life isn't cinderella. your dad's fiancee isn't evil just because she's your stepmother. get over yourself and be happy for him. just because you can't move on doesn't mean he's not allowed to.

I agree but it was very inconsiderate of him to announce it on the anniversary of OP's mother's death.

Anyone actually stopped to think that the dad may be really struggling with this day, and did this as a distraction or as a way to make the day feel happy/better so he doesn't have to feel miserable about it? He could really be hurting about it and whilst it is a little insensitive to everyone else, perhaps people should actually think about it before judging him.

owlishes 24

That's horrible, how could he be so inconsiderate?

wtf did he do start dating someone before she was even gone? one freaking year? He deserves to be shot.

Maybe he is trying to make people forget about a bad day with a good one?