Disapproving

By Disappointment - 26/05/2017 19:00 - United States - Gresham

Today, I flew home to visit my parents. We haven't seen each other in two years, I've gotten a few tattoos done since, and I knew they wouldn't approve, so I bought whole new outfits that covered everything and looked professional. When I got there, the first thing my mom says to me is, "Is that a nose ring!?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 231
You deserved it 2 012

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Patsy Boren 19

Smooth.. But at least you tried

Comments

I find it extremely polite of you to respect them enough to cover your tattoos while you're there. (I'm being serious)

cheshireau 26

Stuff judgemental family members. Parents or otherwise. My hair dresser once said to me (about her daughters inked) I carried and birthed her, I get a say about what's on her body. Uh, no, you don't. She's over 30! My Dad doesn't like mine but his opinion doesn't stop me.

squiros 2

it's not that tattoo that's the problem, it's what the tattoo is a symptom of. your parents likely wanted you to have a comfortable life with a respectable job. jobs that disallow tattoos usually require higher skill and are more secure. they were hoping that you would excel. body modifications are an attempt to define an image - whether to yourself or others. it could be they were hoping that personal development would be more central and that outward appearance would be less significant to you. as you get older, you'll realize how little image matters and the time and effort dedicated to it is ultimately wasted. it is your life - but by your username, i think you realize that they want the best for you, and hope for the best for you as well.