Alexa, play "Pay Your Rates" by The Fall

By Anonymous - 16/08/2022 14:00

Today, my 40 year-old idiot son declared he's going to become a priest. He’s not Catholic, not religious, married, expecting a baby, gambles, and only wants to do it because he read somewhere the clergy are tax exempt. FML
I agree, your life sucks 873
You deserved it 175

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Jesus wasn't Catholic, either, so what's your point? There are remarkable tax giveaways to so-called religious organizations, so your idiot son could get ordained as a priest in some Internet-based religion and save on his taxes.

Don't blame him. We should all get in on this scam.

Comments

Jesus wasn't Catholic, either, so what's your point? There are remarkable tax giveaways to so-called religious organizations, so your idiot son could get ordained as a priest in some Internet-based religion and save on his taxes.

If that actually works, that's probably the best way to finally get the government to remove tax exemptions for religious organizations: if everyone gets some BS ordainment and tax exemption, I doubt the government will just let it slide.

While I like this line of thinking, and may even try it myself... I think governments have specific requirements to not be considered a cult and get exemptions. primarily I believe they have to pump money into government donations and to lobbyists. pretty much the main difference from cult to religion is whether the government backs you or not...

He could just become a Lutheran or Anglican minister; they’re just as tax-exempt and they don’t have to be celibate.

Don't blame him. We should all get in on this scam.

Clergy are not tax exempt. Some clergy don't pay taxes for the same reason other low income persons don't; they simply earn too little to have an income tax liability. Catholic clergy, for instance, essentially work for free in exchange for room, board and a small personal stipend. I doubt this is the lifestyle the OP's son envisions, hence why he is an "idiot". If the priest owns his personal vehicle (ie, he doesn't use a car owned by the parish he is assigned to), he would pay property tax on the car like anybody else. If he inherited property from family, he would pay any inheritance taxes (as well as any property taxes assessed on the house). He'd also have to pay capital gains taxes if he sold the property. A small number of priests belong to religious orders, and donate all their income or property to the order. In such instances they can deduct their 100% donation against their taxible income, and thus owe nothing. Again, I doubt this is the lifestyle the OP's son envisions.