Cough up

By Anonymous - 10/08/2021 18:01

Today, my wife somehow convinced a judge to force me to pay child support for a child that isn’t mine. I recently discovered our son was the result of an affair and not biologically mine, so I divorced her, but the judge is forcing me to keep supporting them financially. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 543
You deserved it 130

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don’t understand why this is even possible, being lied to for so long and then still having to help such a **** of a woman

How did you find out? Do you have a DNA test to prove it? This situation sucks and if you did everything right then it sucks even more. I'm sorry you have to go trhough this.

Comments

I don’t understand why this is even possible, being lied to for so long and then still having to help such a **** of a woman

Charlie Coffman_1920149595 18

the husband is legally presumed to be the father of any pregnancy during a marriage in america if this is where it happened and unfortunately, can be quite hard to get out of, even if going through court

I don't know where OP is from, but in my country, the legal system is looking for the best interest of the child. So even if OP isn't the bio dad, if he's been a financial support/father figure...the law sees it as a detriment to the child to lose that. Even if it's only been maybe a year, that's enough. Whatever it takes to the best interest of the kid, that's where the judgement goes.

How did you find out? Do you have a DNA test to prove it? This situation sucks and if you did everything right then it sucks even more. I'm sorry you have to go trhough this.

putting the child support aside, you've bonded with the child since birth. just cos it's not biologically yours please don't abandon it

Makes no sense. Why is he paying for another man's bill?

It's not about abandoning the kid, it's about the financial and legal burden that child support is. It typically represents 15-20% of your income, but the mother remains the legal guardian of the child. If you do not pay child support, you have to deal with severe consequences. I would rather be designated as the guardian of a child that I know is not biologically mine, be a single dad and get child support from the mother.

The guy who boned your wife probably makes less money than you, so the court decided to make you pay in the best interests of the boy (but not you.) You may not be the actual sperm donor, but you have been the boy's dad. Now it's gonna cost you, but it's an honorable title to have.

Then later on in life when the boy wants to find his real biological dad and abandon our dear friend here? Doing good doesn't always mean good karma

it's not about money according to the law if you look after a child for x amount of time you become legally obligated to care for that child. it's for the child's wellbeing but it can be easily abused. case and point this fml

petition for a paternity test! if that kid ain't yours, go after the real dad

not how it works. paternity isn't the issue, and a paternity test has likely already been done. the issue is op is now in the eyes of the law the child's guardian so he is required to support it.

appeal and fight back. you will win eventually

No he won’t, especially if he is on the birth certificate. The law doesn’t care about the biological father just who provided for the child in the role of father. 2 friends have been in the same situation and both lost. In different states as well.

In many cases if you've been taking care of the child, law says you're financially responsible, especially if you're married and have presumed paternity. Sucks. You may be able to sue the biological dad depending on the state, but even then it's dubious. Just one of the ways family law can stiff you. Sorry man. If it happened to me, so civil obedience would be in order.

there's clearly more to the story. And there's factors that matter, how old is the kid for instance Are you still going to be with some type of custody. Or are you planning to walk away from the child too

Welcome to the clown world we live in. The courts will side with a woman 99% of the time, just because she is a woman.

Actually it’s because you signed the birth certificate. That is you agreeing to be the father and have the responsibility of supporting and caring for the child. It’s not because of the bs people are saying on here.