Walk out

By Anonymous - 10/08/2021 20:01

Today, I'd started dialysis and the cap at the end of my PD tube came off. It’s meant to stop infection, and it’s filled with betadine. I said I had to go to the office. My teacher wouldn’t let me, so I walked out of class. I got detention for trying to prevent getting a major infection. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 320
You deserved it 60

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Make sure you go talk to the school principal or the dean whoever is the head of the school and if that doesn't work go to the school board and make a formal complaint. What that teacher did violates HIPAA laws and I bet the school district probably also has policies and places well that that violates.

Most likely ADA would apply more, since it's medical - they're required to make reasonable accommodations for disabilities, and they could get sued for not. I'd say "letting you go to the doctor for life-saving treatment" counts as a reasonable accommodation. This is lawyer time though.

Comments

Assholes misleading entire regions into complete Airheads "America" would've found a better word but I'm trying not to call an entire country retarded

Make sure you go talk to the school principal or the dean whoever is the head of the school and if that doesn't work go to the school board and make a formal complaint. What that teacher did violates HIPAA laws and I bet the school district probably also has policies and places well that that violates.

Jon Tessler 14

when you don't understand what HIPPA stands for, but think you do......

I like how you insinuate that you're smarter, but then you spell the abbreviation wrong

Most likely ADA would apply more, since it's medical - they're required to make reasonable accommodations for disabilities, and they could get sued for not. I'd say "letting you go to the doctor for life-saving treatment" counts as a reasonable accommodation. This is lawyer time though.

If you’re in the US, sue them! If you’re in the UK knock the teacher out and then go to the board of directors/news and local MP

Sounds like you got detention for not communicating correctly the urgency or that you were going for medical reasons not a trip to the office

Lydmyers 9

If this happened to my son/daughter, I would be right up to the school, demanding why this was allowed to happen and why the teacher thought it was okay to stop a student going to the bathroom. unfortunately this is a common issue, which, as a parent, I do not allow. I have told my kids (and my twin sister's kids) that if they have a teacher who does not allow them to use the bathroom when they need to, to let me know immediately.

If you are in the US, one option would be to go talk to a lawyer (if you’re a minor, with your parents) and see if this is an issue. I normally think going straight to suing is ridiculous, but in this case, it sounds like it could be violation of the ADA for not providing reasonable accommodation. I’m not a lawyer nor in health care, although I take a basic form of yearly ADA training for work, which is why I’m thinking it sounds like one. A professional would be able to confirm/deny for certain. At the very least, you NEED to go the dean/principal of the school and report what happened directly to them. That teacher needs to be written up and shown that this is not acceptable behavior. And if for some reason the dean/principal doesn’t care…I bet your local news would love to hear about this, lol.

Psivage3000 4

That’s suck. I’m on hemo dialysis. Hope everything is ok. Talk to the principal about your situation. Have the doctors called them to inform them about how dangerous an infection can be.