Chill out, dude

By Anonymous - 14/08/2012 00:55 - Australia - Queanbeyan

Today, my son displayed an interest in chess, and asked me to teach him to play. Five minutes in, I captured his queen. He screamed "SCREW THIS STUPID GAME", slammed his fist down on his pieces, and started crying because of the pain. He's fourteen years-old. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 039
You deserved it 4 665

Same thing different taste

Comments

dstluke 7

grats on turning him off of the game. at least you won.

jsolis1982 6
mrperspire 4

So if he fail a test would he say " SCREW SCHOOL I QUIT"

Dallasluver19 14

Be happy he didn't cuss...cryed because the pain? Be happy he didn't cut himself either.

merryhappy1887 20

Children are a product of their raising. Try looking in the mirror.

Has no one else considered that what OP did was messed up. OPs son wanted to learn not get beat in a few minutes, I'd be upset too, I would not throw a tantrum but still..

I don't think it's productive, in teaching a preteen how to play chess, to let him win. He's old enough to learn to lose. Heck, you can do that with candyland. Maybe not after five minutes. A kid that age needs to learn to lose gracefully and with good sportsmanship.

ellytoad 13

I'd think that it would be more useful to know how to play the game first, which is what the OP should be helping her son with instead of focusing on beating him from the start.

While it's true he's being a baby about it, don't fret. Don't be a fretful parent. You're not the only one. There are adults I've seen throwing tantrums over coupons at the grocery store. Just let him know he's being a baby about it. He might very well care a little bit about chess already. It might even be better that he's still showing his feelings rather than being a sullen teenager.

rubyliu8420 7

Tell him to man up & quit being such a little b!+€#

ellytoad 13

Turbo-beating someone who is trying to learn results in an unproductive and short lesson. Are you even explaining the moves as they are being made? Don't make it about competition in the beginning.