#Childfree

By ChildFree - 20/04/2015 23:55 - Saudi Arabia - Riyadh

Today, my mother-in-law asked me when my fiancé and I were going to start having children. When I told her we weren't planning on having any, she went on a tirade about how selfish and cold I am for denying her precious grandchildren. Now she hates me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 882
You deserved it 4 602

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should do whatever seems best for you. I never understood why people pressure others to have kids.

Mother-in-laws are always a pain. Do what you want and dont listen to her

Comments

If she wanted grandkids so badly she should have had more actual children. Screw her, she isn't the one that's going to be pregnant or getting up all night.

that's exactly what I told my dad when he said "you are going to have kids because I want grandkids and they have to be blood related to me". unless you are going to be the one getting pregnant and taking care of the child you have no say in anyone else's reproductive habits.

I had the opposite happen to me, 35. My mom didn't want to be a grandma and repeatedly told me to never have children. Since I've always wanted to start my own family, I politely told her that having children was her decision. I also told her, having grandchildren, was not her decision.

Wish I could up vote that comment 100 times!

Your mother-in-law should have had more kids.

Do what you want with your life. If you and your husband don't want kids then don't have any. Kids aren't for everyone. With time hopefully your mother in law will see how happy you guys are and respect your decision.

You know what's really selfish? Trying to pressure someone into a life-changing decision just so she can have something to spoil and cuddle.

Tell her, you cannot make a butt baby...

Gotta love the parents who desperately want those grandbabies so they can have a 'second chance' to prove they're not as horrible as you remember them to be all throughout childhood, teenhood, and adulthood. Been there. It's to the point where if we DO decide to create hellspawns, it's going to purposely after both sides are gone so they won't have the satisfaction. Currently, we can barely take care of ourselves, so we have a long ways to go.

Just stand your ground with this woman Op. My mother-in-law did the same thing to me for quite a few years, even after my husband and I told her to politely stop with her very obvious and subtle words. She finally got it through her head awhile ago after I became really pissed at her and went off. Now she doesn't say a word to me about the subject at all. Sometimes this works with those kind of women but there are other ways of making them stop.

I just had an argument the other day regarding to this topic. It's your body, your life, and you can do what ever you want with it. I absolutely hate when others put pressure on you to have children. It is not their choice.

She is not your mother in law until you are married.