Catch 22

By Jobless - 10/12/2016 03:35

Today I was fired from my job. They fired me because they couldn't work around my college schedule. The only reason they hired me was because they were looking for college students and without a job I can't go back to school. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 315
You deserved it 606

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks! If that's the case then they shouldn't have even told you that they could work with your schedule in the first place, let alone hire you if they planned on firing you anyways. They could have saved you a lot of time, time that could have been used to find another job. Hopefully you'll be able to find work elsewhere soon, best of luck OP!

Take out a life insurance policy on yourself. Kill yourself. Collect the insurance payout. Simple and appropriate.

Comments

That sucks! If that's the case then they shouldn't have even told you that they could work with your schedule in the first place, let alone hire you if they planned on firing you anyways. They could have saved you a lot of time, time that could have been used to find another job. Hopefully you'll be able to find work elsewhere soon, best of luck OP!

WavRace 14

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't your employer technically legally required to accommodate your schedule if you're a college student?

mariri9206 32

I've never heard of that being a thing. Or a law.

absolutely not, which is why they want your schedule before classes start or have a understanding. they can fire you whenever they please regardless.

Anyone have some good advice for OP?

Dr. Phil would know what to do in this situation.

Vote for Bernie! Free college for all. Oh, wait, too late ;(

Well there isn't much they can do about this job since they aren't willing to work with the OPs schedule. I'd suggest attempting to get an on campus job or find a job that's more flexible like janitorial.

species4872 19
RedCronos 17

Change your college schedule to accommodate your work. It may take you longer to graduate unless you can knock out some courses during summer school or online.

You have a point there. Obviously op can't change their current semester, but they can schedule the rest of their semesters in a way that they can still go to school and work. It's not the ideal situation, but neither is not being able to afford to go to college.

I agree with you. That's how I went to school. Had to take a bunch of night classes so I could work, but in the end, so worth it.

Take out a life insurance policy on yourself. Kill yourself. Collect the insurance payout. Simple and appropriate.

Life insurance typically becomes void if you commit suicide within a certain time frame

vikingchick 22

I was going to say the same thing #13.

You guys… really picked apart my kill-yourself-then-somehow-do-something-else plan… I'd be very proud. I'm going to be honest, I thought it was 100% solid.

I don't know in which country you live and how things work where you are, so this might not be an option, but isn't there a possibility to do a job on campus? When I went to college quite a lot of students got jobs as assistants to professors, janitors for campus buildings, campus library or restaurant workers,... Obviously working around the students college schedule was part of this kind of job. Another possibility we had if we had a legitimate reason why we couldn't come to some classes (a job being considered a legitimate reason, of course) was following an alternative "self-study" program where we could take some courses online stuff like that. If those options are available to you, it might be a good idea to give them a try.

Without a job you can't go back to school?