Book smarts

By Anonymous - 05/07/2016 16:19 - United States - South Sioux City

Today, my teacher marked a test question wrong, even though I was sure I got it right, so I went online to check. I found a government-approved website showing proof that my answer was correct. My teacher still counted it wrong, because, "We follow the book." That book's older than I am. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 840
You deserved it 884

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That teacher follows the same logic as my ultra-religious parents.

coolthang8200 7

Comments

coolthang8200 7
YourOpinionSucks 22

Throw down a copy of Mein Kampf and tell her that pre WWII Germany had followed the book. See what the old bitch has to say about that.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

As a teacher, I thoroughly disapprove of this response. Right is right and wrong is wrong.

So if a book told you 1 + 1 = 3, you would happily go through your life at school (and possibly after school) believing that even though it's incorrect and can proven incorrect pretty much everywhere else?

You always go by the book, no matter what. I still believe the world is flat and anyone who tells me otherwise can be tossed off this blue pancake we call Earth.

The real question is which book would follow such logic (1+1=3). Many of you all follow a certain book (bible)that isnt really the truth to be honest.

1 + 1 does equal 3... at least in biology or for extremely large values of 1 ;)

yeh nah right is right wrong is wrong

Cauldroup 13

22, shoehorning an annoyed-by-the-Bible comment into a different discussion doesn't make atheists (or whatever you are) look better. Please don't worsen the situation. Thanks.

Or in math when we regard the group mod 1. Since in this ring every value is 0. since 1 = 0 => 1+ 1 = 0+ 0 = 0 = 0 + 0 + 0 = 1 + 1 + 1 = 3

That teacher follows the same logic as my ultra-religious parents.

I saved your comment and this fml then showed it to everyone I know. If only there were more people like you who have the capacity to think and not follow a book 1000's of years old.

It's quite sad, really. I've got nothing against any religion, but I do have something against teaching and perpetuating ignorance. This past weekend I asked to see my homeschooled brother's schoolbooks. It was...tragic. Truly. One chapter was titled "Evolution: A Retreat From Science." It even specified how evolution wasn't science, and was incorrect. According to the "science" book, everything currently living is derived from the animals/people on the Ark. Don't ask me how that makes sense.

If anybody else is trying to figure out how to hug this comment, I'd recommend screenshotting, printing, and taping to a friend or loved one. I find it hilarious that they don't teach evolution but believe people evolv—erm, I mean "derived" from the ark's passengers. It sounds like a discount version of reality. Can't afford Charles Darwin and his evolution crap? Why not try Charlie Dobbin's "derivation"!

jakewill7 7

No reason to bash ppl's lifestyle out of the blue when it was never brought up in the first place

They're not bashing anyone's lifestyle. They're only critical of religion, and the ignorance that goes hand in hand with it.

I'd like to point out that it, thankfully, does not go hand in hand; I do believe in god, in some form or another, and when I started homeschool in high school due to migraines my mother and I went to great lengths to find books that aren't perpetuating that garbage. After all, after so many years and translations, the bible must be 99% metaphorical; I look at them like inspirational stories (hey, some of the stories are fun too, otherwise they wouldn't make kids' books outta 'em!) TL;DR - not everyone decides to believe in either science or religion, they can work together ;)

Its pretty ignorant to say that ignorance goes with religion when in reality it goes with any belief or non belief. Ive met more people on the Internet saying the same false shit and generalizing religious people than Ive seen "ignorant" religious people. Why cant people just stop bashing religion and just live with the fact that people are different?

For the first time ever, I'm sorry I can only thumb this comment once! Bravo!

LostInTheZone11 29

Sounds about right for Nebraska.

You ignoramus, you've clearly been listening to the propaganda from shows such as The Big Bang Theory.

#14 Isn't it a little dangerous to use your entire vocabulary in a single sentence?

Tell your parents and then your principal. Also tell her that Pluto used to be a planet in our solar system and now science says it isn't.

I think it's recently been reclassified as a planet again.

r83839 22

It has been recently classified as a planet again. I'm not sure they teach it though as one of the main planets in our solar system like they used to. They do consider Lake Erie to still be one of the 5 Great Lakes here in the US correct? Because, I know for the longest time, they wanted to get rid of that too because it was simply, too small.

You could try talking to the department chair.

19990231 29

Cool thing called summer school.

Until you get to college. Then it's the best and worst thing ever. You get done sooner, but you have to cram 15 weeks worth of material into 4-5 weeks.

Unlucky1232 20

so this is implying that your school not only marks you incorrect for right info but that the school is teaching with inaccurate text books. pretty sure that can take it to the board of education or sue them.

no because without The Department of Education whether State or Federal giving the school the Tax dollars they are supposed to be getting(this is a whole other argument) the Board of Education cant update the books because every cent they get goes to repairing only the MUST HAVE things heat/cooling, water, food, lights, bathrooms then usually comes the football stadium or whatever the schools big sport is. and only then is money set for books, and the arts(band, choir, art, woodworking)

soactually 4

I kind of sympathize with the teacher, here. I worked in a school that mandates the use of the (very outdated) standardized books and curriculum. Our kids' tests and scores are reviewed to make sure everybody is being taught the same thing. As a result, in my groups, I had to teach the kids that we have new information but that their test answers MUST follow the book. I may not have liked it (it's a big part of the reason I no longer work there), but my job depended on the kids' scored tests aligning with what was in our official textbooks.