Bad employee

By Anonymous - 18/05/2021 20:01

Today, I ran into my boss when I was at the beach. He told me he was sorry for my loss. I asked him, "What loss?" Then I remembered I’d lied about taking time off under the pretense of bereavement of my grandmother passing away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 199
You deserved it 2 758

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There's more to this story of what happens next OP. C'mon. Don't be shy and let it out ;)

I'm curious as to why you would need a reason to take days off from work... In my country you just apply for your holidays and don't have to give a reason for them at all. Travelling, visiting a funeral, staying in bed for 2 weeks: every single one of these reasons is equally important. The boss isn't allowed to decline a holiday here if his only argument is "you are not planning anything special so you have to come to work". Only reason the boss is allowed to decline if the company can't continue operating because of your holiday. In practice, that means just discuss a little bit with your colleagues/team about their planning so there is somebody available to cover for you, but if that is arranged nobody can stop you.

Comments

There's more to this story of what happens next OP. C'mon. Don't be shy and let it out ;)

I'm curious as to why you would need a reason to take days off from work... In my country you just apply for your holidays and don't have to give a reason for them at all. Travelling, visiting a funeral, staying in bed for 2 weeks: every single one of these reasons is equally important. The boss isn't allowed to decline a holiday here if his only argument is "you are not planning anything special so you have to come to work". Only reason the boss is allowed to decline if the company can't continue operating because of your holiday. In practice, that means just discuss a little bit with your colleagues/team about their planning so there is somebody available to cover for you, but if that is arranged nobody can stop you.

Unfortunately, that’s not how it works in the US. Not only do we have to have a valid reason to be off (and I can tell you from experience, chronic migraines or my cat needs surgery often aren’t good enough), but we also have to provide a doctor’s note. Our boss has the right to deny our leave as well. And, depending on your company, your amount of leave sucks, too. I only get 10 days, and everyone says that’s fair because I “get to work only 9 months.” Never mind that I work 50-60 hours a week (minimum) for 9 months.

Ok, that sucks in the US then, that you have to provide your boss proof for everything... So if I may ask, what do you have to do to get one of these 10 leave days? I mean, they are yours to plan whenever you like with whatever reason you like I would presume... Knowing this, I am even tempted to say FYL to OP if it's such a huge procedure just to take a day off.. Sometimes you just want a day off to have a good rest or something...

rotflqtms_ 21

Though it shouldn't be so, the one day I called in sick from work, i got grilled so hard about it. I'm sure the cnas didn't get grilled so badly since they seem to call off all the time. I was literally on the floor feeling like I would pass out when I got home from work, and had been feeling bad all day my previous shift. Heck, today I got food poisoning and was on the toilet half the morning and threw up a bunch in my garbage. I'm not calling out tomorrow and plan on taking anti diarrhea meds just to be safe. (I like to let it run its course first before I take it unless I really really must go out) but I feel like it has as when I threw up, I had a ton of dry heaving at the end and haven't had any bouts since. I literally had to rotate from laying in the cool floor (to feel better) to back on the toilet, and when I walked to get water, I was zigzagging. When it was over, I felt hella weak and didn't think I'd make it to the bed, but a little sleep fixed that up good. Too bad that was my one day off, so it didn't feel like a day off with all that diarrhea and vomiting, Haha. But had that happened tomorrow morning (as I work overnight) I would have taken some anti diarrhea meds and gone to work and avoided food at all costs. I'm gonna have to avoid food tomorrow too, but luckily it's just an 8 hour shift.

Nhayaa2.0 17

Yeaaah... the problem when you lie is that you have to have a freaking awesome memory. So, YDI.

OP, you should've reciprocated and offered the boss condolences on his loss.. seeing as he must have been at the beach for the same reason as you.