Assumptions…

By Singlelady - 21/09/2016 19:16 - United Kingdom - Stoke-on-trent

Today, my sister gently asked me if I was gay. Turns out I've been without a boyfriend for so long that the whole family believes I secretly have a girlfriend. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 854
You deserved it 1 163

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Just tell them you are bisexual. That way, when you don't have a boyfriend, you can say you're on standbi.

*stops trimming mullet in front of mirror (below an original Georgia O'Keeffe) to look over flannel-covered shoulder* "Why would you think I'm gay?!"

Comments

neuronerd 28

I'm sorry they put so much importance on being in a relationship. Single life is great! Other than a few one or two month stints here and there, I've been single almost 4 yrs.

At first I thought it said you've been with your boyfriend for so long that your family thinks you secretly have a girlfriend, then I reread it. I know how you feel, though. Many conversations I have with friends end with them suggesting I don't know I'm not straight and maybe I should "try" to be with a girl. Some people just stay single and that's okay.

It seems like she asked out of concern and was willing to talk if you have been hiding in the closest all this time. Don’t worry about being single, OP! There is nothing wrong with it and when the right person comes along, he will come along. My older sibling and I were both asked the same thing by our mother on separate occasions as well. But it all worked out - my sister is now married and I am steadily dating someone who once used to be just a friend to me. In other words, do not worry about being single and there is no such thing as someone being single for “too long”.

SexyMexi21 23

I work 70 hours a week day/night shift so I work for just me and the dog this would happen to me as I did actually get asked this. Just tell them well "no but my bf/gf is" and keep about your life.

That happened to be. Everyone was convinced that I was gay. So yes, it's sucks. I feel your pain. It gets better :)

happened to me but lucky half of my family was christen and they talk them out of it

My mom, a super Christian (not the nice kind-the kind who hates everyone that's not a straight white Christian) assumed I was gay, always told me I would go to hell, etc. I finally came out as bisexual...and transsexual. Didn't go well xD I was homeless until they found out I got inoperable cancer and then she said "this is gods way of telling you that you're wrong." Ouch! But hey I'm proud of who I am. ^_^

Also OP, be proud of who you are-even if you're a straight single female, more power to you!

Pfft. Not an insult, you silly goose. The only possibly insulting thing about this is the fact that your family is so close-minded to believe one can't be single for a very, very, very long amount of time without having a secret gay lover. And that's not insulting to you, it's insulting to them. The other way you could see it is they think that you specifically can't possibly go so long without getting a significant other because you're so desirable. Nothing wrong with going a long, long time being single.