Alexa, play "Meat Is Murder" by The Smiths

By meat is meat - 07/10/2019 02:07

Today, my girlfriend went on yet another long-winded rant about how dogs are family and should be treated as such, whilst stuffing her face with ribs. I asked her what the difference was between a dog and the pile of pig parts on her plate. Her only response was to call me a monster and dump me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 261
You deserved it 2 657

Same thing different taste

Top comments

The difference is culture. In certain Asian countries they do eat dog. In India cows are sacred. Different countries have different values. In the US, a lot of people grow up with a family dog, and not a lot of people (in comparison) have family pigs. Hence the association of dog is family and pigs are for eating. But you were looking for a fight. You would've known that it wouldn't be received well based on how she was glowingly talking about dogs while eating ribs but you said it anyway. So you got what you asked for; YDI.

icalledhisname 12

I’m apparently one of the only people who feels you, OP. I completely agree and I’m sort of shocked at these votes and comments. My uncle adopted a huge pig that was bred to be slaughtered; the thing is massive. But oh, the personality! He’s the same as any dog, for real, and he’s not even the kind of pig people get for pets (my uncle owns a barn he rescues animals with. He didn’t just bring it to a regular house). The pig knows his name, gets excited to see his people, and loves to be petted.

Comments

leximichelle 13

Well dump her, she deserves better than you

oneonta 8

You equate dogs and pigs? You're basically undateable except for a sick group of sociopaths that don't love dogs.

She was right, you were wrong, deal with it. YDI!

ya for sure. no context needed ydi 10/10

How do you determine that from the post? I see nothing wrong with it and the question quite logical. What IS the difference between the dog and the pig?

The difference is culture. In certain Asian countries they do eat dog. In India cows are sacred. Different countries have different values. In the US, a lot of people grow up with a family dog, and not a lot of people (in comparison) have family pigs. Hence the association of dog is family and pigs are for eating. But you were looking for a fight. You would've known that it wouldn't be received well based on how she was glowingly talking about dogs while eating ribs but you said it anyway. So you got what you asked for; YDI.

So because it's culture, you can't bring up this question? Culture or not, it's a fair question to ask when you're trying to show up a hypocrisy, be it personal or cultural hypocrisy. If you can't question anything, what's the point of talking at all?

I never said he couldn't bring up the question. I didn't even say it wasn't hypocritical. I said he was looking for a fight and got it. Him bringing it up had two most likely scenarios; the more likely one that happened where she disagrees with him and so thinks he's a monster. Or she agrees with him and then feels awful that she's eating a pig, then he'd still lose in the fact that it would ruin the date. It was a lose lose situation. You can say all you want that it was a logical question, but op knew it wouldn't be well received. He stated, " yet another long winded rant". That means it wasn't the first time and she obviously really loves dogs. Equating them with something she's eating obviously wouldn't fly well, or at the very LEAST he would have known it to be a possibility. So still; YDI.

how do you know he was looking for a fight? she could have just as easily been criticizing people who eat dogs no other reason than to vent. youre literally just making assumptions and siding with whoever you want lol.

deadunicorn 10

Yeah because being an adult involves starting debates to expand your point of view win or lose.

I don't understand why the OP deserves this more. He said nothing wrong. If she gets mad over that, then consider that a good thing, OP. Who gets mad over that!

we need context. the asshole could be either imo. was good gf being preachy, or was she defending herself after he judged her? everyone saying ydi do adamantly is just getting because morally op is right. how we treat these animals just comes down to culture

icalledhisname 12

I’m apparently one of the only people who feels you, OP. I completely agree and I’m sort of shocked at these votes and comments. My uncle adopted a huge pig that was bred to be slaughtered; the thing is massive. But oh, the personality! He’s the same as any dog, for real, and he’s not even the kind of pig people get for pets (my uncle owns a barn he rescues animals with. He didn’t just bring it to a regular house). The pig knows his name, gets excited to see his people, and loves to be petted.

"You can't fix stupid" ... or as in this case, "crazy, too."

What the difference is? Carnivores in general are too inefficient to breed for consumption purposes. If you need meat, you're better off eating the meat you're feeding your carnivore with rather than investing more meat to gett less meat. Apart from that, historically dogs helped us get meat. That's why we bred them and manipulated them so that they consider us part of their family. Nowadays hunting got quite "unpopular", but the societal bond doesn't vanish as fast. Oh, and in dark times most people would probably get to the point where they would eat stray dogs (think apokalypse scenario). People have eaten rats, do you really think they wouldnt eat dogs if need be?

The point all of you are apparently missing is the initial argument That dogs are family, and dismissal of her POV as another (hence he's pulled this shit before) "long winded rant." Which tells me he doesn't think they are, and I infer she has a dog which he probably doesn't like, or can't understand her devotion to it. Pets are family to those of us with room in our hearts for them, guys like the OP are just barely this side of being a sociopath or psychopath, but are definitely a narcissist. His go-to position was to attack her, and paint her as a glutton. Good for her on dumping him, and I hope he never crosses paths with an animal because I think the animal will be in mortal danger.

Rats breed much faster than dogs, have a more varied diet, so raising and eating rats would be much more efficient than dogs for food, and Dogs are great protectors and hunting buddies.