By Anonymous - 07/02/2014 23:16 - United Kingdom

Today, wanting to break up with my boyfriend, I invited him to dinner with my parents. I was sure they'd hate him, which would give me the excuse I needed. They ended up loving him, and now they won't stop mentioning marriage. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 720
You deserved it 53 065

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ninety 25

If you wanted to break up wouldn't you already have a reason without having to create one?

Comments

ninety 25

If you wanted to break up wouldn't you already have a reason without having to create one?

Razi_tail 25

OP probably had "the look" give to her and decided to go all "Failure To Launch" on her boyfriend!

MikaykayUnicorn 36

Op should have just broke it off, not tried to find a reason, it just dug her farther in a hole.

agreed! OP should have just done it, instead she gave her family and this guy false hope! I mean really isn't meeting the parents reserved for important boyfriends? OP YDI!

FalconWhitaker 20

I agree. If you're a teenager and want an excuse to break up with a boyfriend, using your parents is fine, but when you're a grown-ass adult, you really should be able to do this thing called "communicating".

Maybe she feels the reason was good enough for her, but not good enough to tell him that's why she's dumping him.

Yes but this just proves the OP was being a coward. If you want to end a relationship just tell the person it's over. Trying to invent an excuse is again cowardly, and is just asking for trouble. If she were my friend and she told me ahead of time this was her plan, I would have told her that I guarantee it's going to backfire.

What a bitch. Better marry him because friendzoning him would make you Satan

...an adventure through a dense jungle of emotions and feelings creating a false sense of love. When in the end you are destructive bulldozer tearing down the foundation of the relationship he worked so hard on to build and nurture. You heartless bitch...

... you should be a bit more careful about what you do. Next time think about the possible outcomes of the situation before you get yourself into this mess...

Just grow some balls and dump him. Trying to make up some other lame excuse is pathetic. YDI

Betty would suggest that you grow a ****** due to the fact that balls are soft and tender but ******'s can take a pounding.

incoherentrmblr 21

If she did grow balls, she'd probably be a hermaphrodite...

TallMist 32

#94 You realize that you have to have a penis and ****** to be a herm, right? Not just balls and a ******. Actually, do herms even have balls?

TallMist 32

I just realized how wrong my comment (#102) was. I'm so sorry.

Don't be a wuss. Just break it off if you don't like him anymore. That's a really stupid thing to do. That and now instead of just breaking his heart, you are going to break your parents heart too. Shame on you.

Why didn't you tell your parents what you were planning?

what difference would that make? my parents would tell me how disappointed they were and how they thought I was a lot more mature than this, it would just make things worse.

buttcramp 21

because now the parents think this is a successful, serious relationship.. so not only is OP lying to the boyfriend, but the parents as well!

juststephhere 23

You totally had the coming! I find that parents only hate significant others when you actually enjoy their company. Don't be so heartless.

Meaniebobeanie 26

Meeting the parents is like taking the relationship to the next level... Also, did you not think to tell your parents of this plan beforehand? Most parents would be willing to take the blame if their daughter is too uncomfortable with it.

My parents would make me actually be mature and break it off myself. It's really pathetic to go crying to mommy and daddy for help in ending a relationship unless there is a serious reason as to why it needs to end.

and i feel bad for the guy to be used that way

Yeah, he is now being led on and probably thinks the relationship will move further. I feel really bad that he doesn't know how she is hiding how she really feels.

perdix 29

Well, "Father knows best." You just aren't thinking right about him, so get ready for the wedding and your life of bliss!

How can they down vote you perdix, do they not know of your fame?

#27: What does "fame" have to do with approval?