Well played

By Hank-T4 - 11/10/2015 11:45 - Australia - Truganina

Today, while looking through my son's browser history, I found a Google search for "stop looking in my history u nosey cunt". I swore last week that I don't invade his privacy, so I can't even punish him for the bad language without looking like a lying bastard. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 175
You deserved it 47 007

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Completely deserved it. Let him have his privacy. He's growing up. YDI.

Overly strict and invading parents make for amazing sneaks and great liars.

Comments

As a parent, I believe that I have the rights to cut his internet connection if I wish to do so. I pay for it. However, I strongly believe that having good, trusting relationship is more important than flexing my muscles around my kid.

who cares if u promised ur his parent just do it if it attends to good parenting. And dam he needs some real discipline he can't say stuff like that to u

pharm121 21

Everyone saying "you deserve it for invading his privacy" well how old is OP's child? I mean a young teen or even preteen is not ENTITLED to that type of privacy.

What bothers me is that people believe that children aren't entitled to privacy. That's not healthy to be constantly invading your children's privacy. That teaches them to resent you and be even more private. It encourages distrust and dishonesty. If you can't teach your children to trust you, you deserve it.

But try not to make promises without thinking oh and if he's past highschool u should stop looking through his history.

WOW! He is good! As the mother of a 15 year old daughter, I can see your position. Not saying that you are right, just that I can see your point. My daughter knows that I can, and will go through all of her accounts and browser at any time.

Does everyone here hate discipline? There are so many problems I have with this. Why give the kid a means to misbehave without supervision in the first place? There is no reason to lie to him either. Tell him he has not earned your trust and that you will monitor his actions. Maybe, as people have pointed out, he is too old for this or has done nothing to earn your distrust. I'm guessing from his language that this is not the case because he sounds immature, disrespectful, and mistrusting for good reason.

he's Australian, the c word is even used as a form of comradeship here

Why would you respect someone who goes back on their word? Why are we assuming the child has reason to trust the parent when we know that said parent can't be trusted? The notion that you must respect parents above all else is stupid. No one gets a free pass. My parents earned my respect when I was young by being respectful individuals. When I did bad, I legitimately felt bad because I made them upset, and I didn't want to do it again. But the important thing is, they were trustworthy, and I felt like I could go to them with anything that was bothering me. The part where my childhood went wrong was when one of them allowed his temper to rule his behavior, and every time I tried to confide in him he yelled at me. So I stopped confiding in him, and he basically stopped being my father. He doesn't want to make any effort to repair the relationship even into my adulthood. So why should I respect him as a parent?

anniemeece 23

Well, you are a lying bastard.

I'm more upset about the bad spelling than I am about the bad language.

blargblah 12

But you are a lying bastard.