Up in smoke

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - United States - Portland

Today, I lit my beard on fire while trying to light a cigarette driving to work. I got fired from work when I got there because of my appearance. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 804
You deserved it 46 676

Top comments

Ah, the one smoking hazard the Surgeon General didn't warn you about. That's how they get ya...

Apply cold water to the - Hey where's half of your beard?

Comments

GoodLookingGeese 10

Made my YEAR for sure. Don't worry about the job loss, just don't look for it in the Santa industry.

All the smokers say fyl. All the non smokers say ydi. Even smokers know smoking is stupid. Should be no surprise he set himself on fire.

not really... I know plenty of people that don't smoke but still believe in a person's right to do so. If OP wants to smoke in his damn car, he should be able to. It's not like he came to your house and blew smoke in your face, is it?

CharresBarkrey 15

I'm a non smoker that said FYL. Did your head just explode?

37 - You can believe people have a right to choose to smoke if they want to but still think it's stupid that they make that choice. They're not mutually exclusive. Same as having kids - I wouldn't dream about taking away someone's right to have kids (unless they're actually being abused or something) as I think that should be their choice to make but that doesn't mean I don't know lots of people with kids who I think probably shouldn't have had them, or at least should've waited a few years until they were in a better position.

Also I think most people have an issue with the fact that he was smoking WHILST DRIVING, not just that he was smoking in his own car.

So basically you got fired twice today.

I don't get it, how does this poor man deserve what he got? For all the people who say he deserved it for smoking, are you saying that people who smoke deserve the bad things they get just because they smoke? It was an accident and frankly speaks volumes about the kind of people OP works for. Unless this isn't the first time he showed up to work looking ridiculous :P

YES. That's exactly what we're saying. I don't think there's a person on this planet who doesn't know that smoking is stupid for about 293,953 reasons, yet they do it anyway. So yes, smokers deserve EVERYTHING that they get, including the rude looks, the nasty comments, the lung cancer, the heart attacks, the strokes, and the emphysema. And all you smokers can thumb me down to the bowels of Hell, but it won't make me any less right, and it won't make smoking any less idiotic.

I'm making an assumption that he was moving while he was lighting the cigarette. Had he waited until he was stopped at a light, I might have felt a bit sorry for him. But from what I have read people do all sorts of stupid stuff behind the wheel. And lighting your cigarette while your car is moving sounds really stupid. That said, his getting fired is strange--you think they would give him a chance to go home and shave the rest of his beard off.

I wish I could thumb you up a hundred times. People on this site are ridiculous; any time the poster mentions they are a smoker it gets YDIs. I swear, someone could get hit by a car while smoking and people would still say they deserve it. And Doc, the reason people continue to smoke when they know the consequences is because they have an ADDICTION. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on the planet, it's arguably more addictive than heroin. Once you become a regular smoker you are an addict for life and it is very difficult to quit. Frankly I find it disgusting that you think someone deserves to get cancer if they smoke. I know smokers who are wonderful people and they sure as hell do not deserve to die because they made a stupid decision when they were younger.

It is possible to quit! I did it nine years ago and am so please to now be free I don't miss them or ever have desire for them, I occasionally have a nightmare where I have started again but its such a great feeling when I wake and realise it was just a dream!

106 - No, one is not automatically an addict for life. I joke that my body gave up on cigs before I did, but it's the truth. Couldn't smoke one now if I tried.

106 - Nobody's a smoker for life unless they just don't care enough to quit. There are so many resources out there to help people who want to quit. They can transition to e-cigs first if they want so they lose the carcinogens from the burning tobacco but still get the nicotine. They can chew nicotine gum, get a nicotine patch, join support groups, call help lines, and get prescriptions to help them stop smoking. The support groups and help lines are usually free, so there's not excuse not to utilize those at least. Smokers' risk of lung cancer decreases more and more every year after they stop smoking, so your point about a "stupid decision they made when they are younger" is more or less invalid. Every cigarette a smoker smokes is a choice to give into the addiction and to not fight it. It's not exactly like cigarettes can jump into a person's mouth and light themselves. Most people with lung cancer have it because of a decision they made recently, and may even still be making at that very moment. Besides, being a "wonderful person" does not exempt you from deserving the consequences of your actions.

Most of the current smokers I know are older (40+) and they started smoking when they were young and the consequences of tobacco use weren't well known. Cigarettes were advertised as something that would make you sexy and thin, not something that would give you lung cancer. Do you still think those people deserve to die? And FYI, most of these people HAVE tried to quit. Several times actually. Like I said, nicotine is one of the most addictive substances in existence. It takes the average person 7 times to quit permanently because even if you haven't had a cigarette for 6 months you will still get cravings once and awhile. And all it takes is one slip-up to become fully addicted again.

chucknorris76 3

my beard lights fire on fire.

shinychic_96 7

You could have stopped for a razor and cleaned it up

so he'd be late for work on top of everything else...?!

shinychic_96 7

That's better than being fired.

beards are disgusting. its like women with hairy armpits

I disagree. I love my boyfriend's beard. I'm actually the one who convinced him to grow it. Beards are manly and men should be manly.

As a man who's worn a beard since 1983, Piss off :)

Well count yourself lucky that's all that happend and the fml isn't " today my mother was killed in a car crash caused by a autodouche lighting a cigarette"

That's bull! They can't fire you because of your appearance, even if you did cause it.