Tricky situation

By Anonymous - 14/05/2020 05:00

Today, my roommate in our barracks posted trans hate-speech on Facebook. My choices are to report him and risk ending his military career, confront him and risk him finding out I'm trans, or do nothing and live in fear of him figuring me out. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 374
You deserved it 546

Same thing different taste

Top comments

bobsanction 18

It's not your duty to protect his career. Reporting him is your duty to your fellow military members, and to refuse to is to dishonor your uniform.

Follow your protocol. If it puts his military career at risk that’s all on him. Military don’t need people like him. You’ll be doing the right thing. Thank you for serving our country.

Comments

Follow your protocol. If it puts his military career at risk that’s all on him. Military don’t need people like him. You’ll be doing the right thing. Thank you for serving our country.

bobsanction 18

It's not your duty to protect his career. Reporting him is your duty to your fellow military members, and to refuse to is to dishonor your uniform.

julfunky 29

What you really mean is “we don’t want people who don’t abide to my idea of sexuality.” Trans people understand their sexuality just fine, YOU just don’t like it.

You should definitely report him - I’m sure you can do it anonymously. At least ask your higher ups for advice, I’m sure they’ll counsel you accordingly.

I am sorry but you need to report them. We do not need that kind of person in any type of leadership role.

You aren't risking ending his career, he did that all on his own

thatkorean 5

He wants to be bigoted let him but not when wearing that uniform. Report him.

tounces7 27

Seems like the first choice would be obvious. There's no room for that in the military AT ALL. As per the immortal words of your drill sergeant - You are all equally worthless.

Report him. Someone with a mindset like that does not deserve to be in a career that requires protecting people of any and all types.

Freedom of speech means the government can't stop him from posting it. That doesn't mean he is free from the consequences from others.

How can he out you as trans? If you're not receiving medication, then it's entirely psychological right? If you just said "I'm a man" could the military somehow judge you identify as a woman?

It's not about whether OP is currently transitioning or not, OP is worried about being harmed by the roommate if they find out OP identifies as transgender.

I already transitioned and am not obviously trans.