Tricky situation

By Anonymous - 14/05/2020 05:00

Today, my roommate in our barracks posted trans hate-speech on Facebook. My choices are to report him and risk ending his military career, confront him and risk him finding out I'm trans, or do nothing and live in fear of him figuring me out. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 375
You deserved it 547

Same thing different taste

Top comments

bobsanction 18

It's not your duty to protect his career. Reporting him is your duty to your fellow military members, and to refuse to is to dishonor your uniform.

Follow your protocol. If it puts his military career at risk that’s all on him. Military don’t need people like him. You’ll be doing the right thing. Thank you for serving our country.

Comments

Your duty is to report, but if you're scared maybe they have an anonymous reporting option?

first off as a former marine all of you people saying that he is dishonoring the uniform obviously don't know military history or law it is illegal to be homosexual in the military then they passed don't ask don't tell meaning that higher ups can't ask you and if you don't tell anyone you won't get in trouble but it is still illegal to serve as a homosexual so no he's not dishonoring the uniform but as a person he sucks everyone should have the right to live the life that makes them happy without persecution

julfunky 29

Being trans doesn’t dictate your sexuality. Those are two different things.

He ISNT a homosexual. He is a HE. Was birthed a female and transitioned into a male as that is what HE is. If your going to make an educated comment about the military make sure you do research and make an educated comment on the LGBTQ community as well. You can’t just put every one in the same category that’s not how it works.

Suaria 38

For someone who's telling others to learn military history and law, you yourself don't know military law. Obama did away with Don't Ask Don't Tell. That means it is perfectly legal for gay people to serve in the military. However Trump made it so trans people cannot serve in the military and the Supreme Court upheld that. I'm guessing that this person may be from a different country that allows trans people to serve.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
ViviMage 38

He is a male. Once he announced his pronoun choice and the transition, you refer to him by his preferred pronouns. That's it. No one said he was attracted to men. Ironically the meds make you attracted to the opposite sex of the hormones, so he would likely be attracted to females.

OP: I'm not American. Trans troops have been allowed to openly serve in my country since 1992. Operation Honour made it illegal to say what he did.

If you’re talking about Canada, your dates aren’t exactly correct. Operation Honour started in 2014; however, we were the first country to have a member of our military service transition under our flag (with the military covering the cost of the transition). That happened in 1997, with the military paying in 1999.

kt1973 3

Your post made me finally sign up to this app. Been a troll for a long time. Report him or screenshot and send it to me and I’ll report him. (Retired Navy here.) Freedom of speech rules don’t apply like that when your wearing the uniform.

ViviMage 38

You sir are awesome! I've lived with a trans and she lived in fear of transphobic attacks occurring to her. My roommate was robbed and had her breasts groped and someone demanded sex of her (she was able to escape so she wasn't raped). What you say in the uniform means you defend that statement with the uniform/job. Which is why you don't say stupid things on the clock.

EmDizzle2007, FitnessFirst and Isaac Shields y'all need to get a new perspective. LGBTQ people have the right to exist. However, your vile 1950s views, which you all seem to be way too young for, simply don't.

Report him now!. God forbids he become a general and do something stupid against Trans people

OP: Well he's not an officer so unless he goes to uni and remusters he'll never be a General. I am an officer, though, so hopefully someday I can enact positive change.

Not your job to protect him. Report him, it’s more than likely it’s not just you that it’s affecting.

OP: Situation was taken out of my hands when my 2IC reported him even though I wasn't going to.

kilobravo 12

The fact that everyone here is being so supportive is honestly so fantastic. It gives me hope we (humanity) are incrementally getting better and better.

Or send me a link to the posted comment I’ll confront him for you.

Report him. If he's stupid enough to post things like that online, he deserves to ruin his career. He's doing it to himself, anyway. It's not your job to protect his career.