By random - 23/10/2013 22:41 - United States - Amarillo

Today, while working as a paramedic, we got called to an assisted living home. The medical emergency? The woman had a leak in her bathroom and wanted it fixed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 164
You deserved it 2 604

Same thing different taste

Top comments

What the hell was she thinking when she called you? Can someone be that dumb?

tehdarkness 21

I can't wait till I'm old and I can perform hijinks and pass them off as insanity!

Comments

This women most likely has some slight dementia and she called the only number she knew in case of an emergency. To her this was one. I worked in an assisted living home and had this happen more than once. The dispatcher knew what type of place we were called us to verify of there was truly an

I once got a call from a mother who was concerned because her baby was smiling too much. . . .

Emergency. She didn't know enough to pull her help cord because of the dementia.

Not all assisted living places have those cords though. The one I work at don't have any help core, not even in the bathrooms. Those poor resident really do need those help cords.

I feel you OP, people now a days activate EMS for some ridiculous reasons.

Awwww Lordy ems. I love my little EMT students that are so gung-ho to go I their first rides and then they get these and I just shake my head.

If you're really that mad that an elderly lady just wanted your help, emergency or not, then I think you need a new career choice. First response may not always be emergency calls, you know

Except this isn't a matter of 'fell and broke her hip, still requires EMTs', it's 'misuse of an emergency number, therefore taking emergency services away from potential real emergencies'. I get bothered by the same thing at work, when nurses scan down orders as a STAT just because the patient wants to go home right then. They fail to realize that if I'm running up their non-STAT 'STAT', there's no one to run up a REAL STAT when it happens. They are risking someone else's life.

tompou6 19

Well look at it this way OP, as long as there are idiotic people in this world which means you have job security

should've stopped at Today working as a paramedic. I appreciate what you do immensely but being a paramedic sucks major ass. you have to try and keep people alive that are already dead and know that you can't change that.

Do none of you realize what assisted living is? It's old people who can't care for themselves and don't know what's going on

Not necessarily. Some seniors are in assisted living for physical or financial reasons, not all are in AL for mental capacity reasons. But if that's the case, then it's the facility's responsibility to make sure the residents can't abuse the phone system (by making room phones incapable of dialing outside lines, etc). I doubt people are blaming someone who is likely senile for this situation, but rather her caretakers for not taking appropriate steps to prevent the misuse of emergency services.

I agree with you in principle, but elder care is often like watching a toddler only worse. You can literally turn around for 45 seconds and who knows what they will do. Usually homes are understaffed and the nurses are mostly focused on preventing people from falling or wandering that I can't really blame them for things like this.