By skipperpop - 11/08/2016 22:24 - United States - Ames

Today, after work, I was saying goodbye to my last remaining friend I worked with because she was going to be leaving for college. My manager saw me talking and made me clock back in and work because "If you have time to talk, you have time to work." FML.
I agree, your life sucks 14 624
You deserved it 1 244

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Allornone 35

If you were already off the clock and had worked your scheduled shift, I can't understand his reasoning. Then again, I guess dicks don't need reasons.

Wizardo 33

Should've clocked your boss. With steel chair to nowhere. Assert dominance. Man, gotta love these haiku's.

Comments

Allornone 35

If you were already off the clock and had worked your scheduled shift, I can't understand his reasoning. Then again, I guess dicks don't need reasons.

joeyl2008 29

The only thing I can think of that makes sense to me is the boss saw OP standing around talking and told them to get back to work, not knowing OP was off, and OP took that as "clock back in and continue working".

Also, if you were off the clock and they made you go back to work, they better pay you overtime.

tounces7 27

Which would mean they don't know OP's schedule and they're an idiot. I think the only takeaway from this is that OP's boss is extremely old-fashioned, and is used to owning slaves instead of hired employees. That's what you get in a "Right to Work" state.

joeyl2008 29

@31 I don't see how that makes the boss an idiot. No boss I ever had memorized the employees schedules.

My boss always memorized our schedules so she'd know who was supposed to be in the store for the day, when each person was finishing, and when the next person was coming in to take over the next shift. She made the scheduled, she should know what people are working and when. Also, even if she didn't, a lot of schedules are posted right on site. So all she had to do was glance at it and could easily see OP was finished for the day.

FML_HelloItsMe 15

FYL OP.Talk to your friend on the phone.Hopefully no one will interrupt you.

Being interrupted wasn't the main point of this OP's post. OP was already off work when he said his last goodbye to his coworker who was leaving for college. I would rather say my goodbyes in person rather than over the phone.

Were you on your break? What does he expect you to do, sit there and stare at the wall?

Lizza330 28

It says after work, so I think OP was done for the day, but I don't think their boss can make them come back to work if they're done?

I don't know why I'm getting thumbed down so much it's an honest question

You were thumbed down because you didn't read OP's post correctly. He said "after work", not during his break.

Wizardo 33

Should've clocked your boss. With steel chair to nowhere. Assert dominance. Man, gotta love these haiku's.

For some reason I read this to the tune from the Nullmetal Alchemist intro.

I don't think this is legal at all, for one. For two, what the ****? Does she expect her employees to have no social life just because she ruined her's years ago? She sounds flat out petty and jealous.

Text, snapchat, Skype. Don't get fired because then you'll have no friends to ask to borrow money from.

op's shift was over. they were done with their job for that day.

Made you? As in... you actually clocked back in? Please tell me you just used the wrong wording. Once you're off the clock, your boss is no longer your boss and has no authority over what you do unless you blatantly demonstrate that you're horribly unfit to work there or just don't come in when you're scheduled to.

They could still fire you, even if they don't have a real reason.

That depends on where you work. In Texas, that's true, but in other states, they have to have a valid reason.

cootiequeen4444 11

That would basically be Montana. I googled right to work after hearing about it a million times in this app and literally the only state where you are required by law to have a valid reason when firing someone is Montana... There are national laws about reasons you can't fire someone though. and some states have even more reasons you can't be fired e.g. gender / sexual orientation discrimation is sadly not a nationwide banned reason to fire . it's state by state. idk why people keeping saying IF it's a right to work state.. Montana isn't super populous. so it probably is. Though on that note it's really weird that the odd one out is Montana. I would have thought it would be like Massachusetts or California or some blue state like that.

Please tell me that you didn't actually clock back in. Legally your boss has no right to do that.

God I hope your manager was kidding but based on the wording... it sounds like you actually went back to work. which is incredibly dumb.