By Chellybelly92 - 01/07/2013 15:34 - United States - Allentown

Today, while waitressing, I had a huge party. When everything was said and done I saw the tip they left me. It said on a napkin, "You're pretty. You can't put a value on a compliment." And that was it. I wish compliments paid the rent. FML
I agree, your life sucks 57 332
You deserved it 4 127

Chellybelly92 tells us more.

Chellybelly92 14

Wow this made it. That day was kinda bad for tips and that just topped it. But I made a good amount it's just probably gonna be a rough month with money but I'll make it. Thanks guys.

Top comments

Wow, that's horrible OP. All the places I work have gratuity added for parties greater than 6 or 8.

I can put a value on a compliment: Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nothing. Assholes.

Comments

EmsyyyRose13 24

What a bunch of assholes! I'm so sorry OP. How come your workplace didn't add the tip onto the check? Anywhere I've been to with more than 4 people they've added it on the check.

Well did they pay the gratitude that was on the bill? Or did it not have one?

134. The automatic tip on the bill for parties with large groups of people

She didn't ask what the definition of gratuity is...

I don't know where you work but make sure your boss knows and see if anything can be done about including tips on parties of 6 or more

I'm a server too and in our restaurant we have a word for people like that and it's called ratchet and all ratchet people are alike. The are loud, rude, demanding, and incredibly ignorant. They think we get paid minimum wage and don't even care that most of us get payed 2.13 an hour. I wish all restaurants demand gratuity because being a server is an incredibly stressful, agrivating and patient job. Also for any ignorant people reading this, a 5$ tip on a 200$ bill IS NOT A TIP, IT'S AN INSULT. Just go to Burger King if u can't afford the bill

"If you ain't got no money, take yo' broke ass home!" I mainly relay on tips too. Most of the time I do very well because I have regular bar guest. Unfortunately, there are some people that know our hourly wage and that we depend on tips and still don't care. I've heard, "If you don't like the way the system works, why don't you get a different job blah,blah, blah. . ." I wish everyone could work a day in our shoes and realize it's much harder than it may seems to appear.

You make the mistaken assumption that anyone cares what you get paid. Your career choice is absolutely not the customer's problem. Get over yourself.

beej821410 6

So having a large bill and tipping a small amount automatically means I can't afford the bill? I always just assumed it meant I was cheap...

That's actually a good way of saying it, large bill small tip, your cheap.

I'm sorry OP :( some people are too thick headed to realize most waiters/waitresses don't see a penny of their actual check because they only get paid about 2$ an hour.

mzdaisylynn 12

Maybe they didnt think you were a good server. I tip according to the service I recieve. If the waitress is full of snark and attitude, no tip. If the restaurant is empty and the server is lazy, no tip. If its busy and she/he seems busy and tries their hardest, then they get a tip.

MzZombicidal 36

Just a funny story: My boyfriend does the very same thing. We went on a quick dinner date to Steak and Shake and our service was just terrible. To make it worse, there were only two other couples there at the time and it took 20+ minutes for our burgers and fries to be cooked. Well, by the time we were done, we hadnt been offered any desert or refills for nearly an hour. My boyfriend was so aggravated that he just spelled out "YOU SUCK" with our leftover fries, paid for my meal (because his was wrong, TWICE) and left.

I feel like no matter how a server does you should tip even a little. even if its under 15-20% you never know what a a person may be going through that may cause them to not meet the typical expectations of a server, and many servers/host depend on that money to make up for their $3-4 paycheck. plus, im also a host so i get a % of tipshare of what a server makes so not only does not tipping impact a server but also hosts working too usually.

cottoncandymango 17

My motto is, if they can't afford to tip, then they shouldn't go out to eat.

TheDrifter 23

My motto is "Tips are earned" so if the server was terrible but the food was acceptable I'll tip 5%, as many places tip out the cook staff that much of the bill and decent food means they did their job properly.

"What's a motto? Nothing. What's a-motto with you?" "Hakuna Matata!"(:

just because you leave a small tip doesn't mean you can't afford a tip. I tip depending on service. if my.glass sits empty, my order is wrong, or the wait staff is rude I might not tip at all or at most $2-$3 ..but if service is great amd staff is friendly and does what they can to prevent/fix any problems that may occur I have tipped $10-$20 before

Maybe if you can't afford to live on the wage you're paid, you should find a new job, rather than depend on the largesse of others. That makes much more sense than telling customers how to spend their money.

Yes, because it's that easy... It's not like a large portion of the country is unemployed or anything. Servers deserve their tips, it's the only way they get paid decently. If you can't afford to tip, don't go out to eat.

People can be asshats. You should volley for a 15% gratuitous fee for more than a certain amount of people.