By Chellybelly92 - 01/07/2013 15:34 - United States - Allentown

Today, while waitressing, I had a huge party. When everything was said and done I saw the tip they left me. It said on a napkin, "You're pretty. You can't put a value on a compliment." And that was it. I wish compliments paid the rent. FML
I agree, your life sucks 57 332
You deserved it 4 127

Chellybelly92 tells us more.

Chellybelly92 14

Wow this made it. That day was kinda bad for tips and that just topped it. But I made a good amount it's just probably gonna be a rough month with money but I'll make it. Thanks guys.

Top comments

Wow, that's horrible OP. All the places I work have gratuity added for parties greater than 6 or 8.

I can put a value on a compliment: Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nothing. Assholes.

Comments

Just be thankful you live in 'Merica, a lot of countries don't tip at all

And the wait staff get paid more there. Derp.

Not necessarily, and they are treated much worse in other places

in a lot of countries in europe actually the tip is added to your bill already like france

I was thinking more in the Japan area

Waitresses get paid fine in Japan. Thet don't tip there because it's seen as disrespectful. Tips are even banned in some countries because it's considered rude. The waitresses are normally paid at least a liveable amount in these places though. There are countries where waitresses don't get tips or decent pay, but that's because there simply isn't enough money available there.

Ins0mau 20

We don't usually tip here in Australia except for exceptional circumstances but waitresses get paid better here.

Most people don't care what the waitress makes, nor should they. It's not the customer's problem.

58 is it true in Australia if you tip your bartender it means you want to sleep with them? I heard that once, just curious.

You can insult in action (or inaction)!

Calling someone pretty is an insult now a days?

No, genius, refusing to tip them is. By not tipping your waitress you're basically saying "screw you, you suck and you don't deserve any money for the work you just did" so unless the service really was terrible and you honestly don't feel they deserved a tip, then yeah, that's a huge insult.

Americans and their tips... You folks could just raise minimum wage, or build up a decent social security system. But I guess I am barking up the wrong tree and will be downvoted into the depths of oblivion.

Suuuuuuuuuure compliments pay the rent. Just go to your landlord and butter him up. He'll be so flattered, I'm certain he'll forget all about that $800 you owe him.

Wowxoxo 17

This sounds like a scene right from Les Misérables (1998 version).. They get frisky..

Hey, come on now. They may be cheap, but at least they left something! I've had people leave used condoms, I would have much prefered a compliment.

I know! At least OP got a complimentary napkin!

If you have issues with tipping, that's fine, but tell the waitress right off that bat your morally adverse to it. Otherwise, it isn't a matter of morals; it's you being a cheap a$$hole.

And what good would that do? She'd still have to bring you your food...

It's still rude even if you tell them upfront that you're going to be rude. I have issues with the concept of tipping myself but, in the UK or US, I would tip regardless.

If you told her off the bat that you don't tip.. the movie "Waiting" would pretty much sum up what would happen.

TheDrifter 23

I had issues when I visited Japan because I'm used to tipping. Here in my end of Canada it's so hard to find wait staff that they pay them decently, but tips are still customary, makes a barely getting by sort of job a little more attractive.

So it's ok for servers to not to their job if the person doesn't tip? I don't think so.

If the patron doesn't tip, the server isn't getting paid a fair wage to do their job. So yes, it's perfectly ok for them to refuse to do it.

What a day, now go home and have an ice cold beer.

Thats ridiculous waitresses get treated like crap. And look at me about to get a job as a waitress.....

AboveAll04 14

would you have rather been paid in gum ?

Give me some of those Trident Layers!

perdix 29

And this is why huge parties are usually assessed tips automatically. Sure, compliments can't pay the rent, per se, but if you are pretty, I'm sure the landlord can find a way to work something out with you ;)

TheDrifter 23

I think I saw a series of tutorial videos on how that might work while I was surfing the internet last night.

Seduction 101, starring Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull... oh wait...