By Chellybelly92 - 01/07/2013 15:34 - United States - Allentown

Today, while waitressing, I had a huge party. When everything was said and done I saw the tip they left me. It said on a napkin, "You're pretty. You can't put a value on a compliment." And that was it. I wish compliments paid the rent. FML
I agree, your life sucks 57 332
You deserved it 4 127

Chellybelly92 tells us more.

Chellybelly92 14

Wow this made it. That day was kinda bad for tips and that just topped it. But I made a good amount it's just probably gonna be a rough month with money but I'll make it. Thanks guys.

Top comments

Wow, that's horrible OP. All the places I work have gratuity added for parties greater than 6 or 8.

I can put a value on a compliment: Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nothing. Assholes.

Comments

sinekt 9

And I wish that one day, people like you will understand that tips are a complete nonsense and most of the people only get paid once a month (salary, paycheck whatever it's called). I never received a tip in my life and I don't need one. If waitressing is all you can do, just shut up and don't complain about it, it's not people's fault that this is all that you can do with your life.

Whoever said she couldn't do anything greater? It's a really tough job market out there, and people are taking anything they can get. She's holding down THREE jobs, showing she's for initiative, intelligence (three different companies aren't going to hire a dumb person) and dedication. She also could very well have a doctorates degree or something, but can't find a job. ******* think before you talk.

I never understood this thing with tipping.. why don't the employers include it in the price?? But no they don't pay you a living wage and expect tips to make it up to you - giving the customers more responsibility and pressure - and employees more uncertainty - it is not fair. In the UK tips are still given but employees are paid a living wage ( I think) so it is just extra.

well I guess I'm one of those horrible people that don't always tip. I am not going to be told I have to tip. that is my decision. if you don't do a good job I won't tip. it doesn't matter if that's the only job you can find. if you don't do it with a smile and good attitude I ain't tipping. I work hard for my money just like you do. I refuse to waste it on half ass workers. I'm not saying you are, I'm just explaining my feelings.

Pity that, in a supposedly civilized country, they don't pay you a proper wage so you have to rely on the guesswork of "tips".

@181 The law requires that tipped employees be paid minimum wage. The tip credit allows employers to use up to $5.12/hour in tips to satisfy that portion of the minimum wage requirement, but if the employee doesn't earn enough in tips then the employer must make up the difference, according to the Fair Labor Standards Act. A server could go into work and make no tips whatsoever, and he or she would still earn minimum wage.

After all my anti-tipping comments, I should add in the interest of disclosure, that in Canada or the US, I tip 15% adjusted up or down based on the quality of service I get. And make no mistake, if it's being adjusted down, you'll know precisely why, and very likely, so will your boss. If you're going to guilt me into paying it, I'll make sure it has workplace value. Generally, I won't frequent a restaurant where I've had to short tip in the past due to poor service. It's been a long, long time since I left a 0 tip though. In that case, the service was OK-ish and they were going to get 15%, but the bill came and the waitress had written in a "suggested' 20% tip... something I found insulting. She got 0 and a her boss got a lecture about appropriate behaviour.

fooltemptress 36

Because there is a law in the US that states waiters/waitresses must get taxed for the amount of tips they should have made according to some formula the IRS has, an employer must legally pay a waiter/waitress the difference between what the IRS believes they should receive and what they actually got, if it was less.

If you don't have money to tip your server in the United States, don't go out. So many people have disgusting attitudes about the service industry thinking that "anyone can do it". I work as a server and we have to let go 99% of the people who come in because they can't handle the job. You guys should try serving 25 people who all want something at the same time and think they're entitled to get it first/immediately and see how awesome you are feeling a few hours into your shift running your ass off to get less than minimum wage and a few bucks people are nice enough to leave for tips. I think you guys should stay home and serve yourselves if you can't be bothered to fork up a little money for tip.

@200 You are not making less than minimum wage. If you are, then your employer is breaking the law, and frankly, considering how accessible information is these days, it is your fault for letting him or her get away with it. I'm sure there is a minimum wage guidelines poster posted somewhere in the facility. You should try reading it. If your employer is screwing you over then file a report. It isn't the customers' fault.

Precisely why I would never work as a waiter in the US. I refuse to work at a job where half of my wages depends on the generosity of the customer. The US has a minimum wage set up for everyone except for wait staff where tips are voluntary, not required (except for large parties in some places). Then people take these jobs and blame the customer for their low wages instead of blaming the restaurant or the government that set up this system. I see people fighting for equality in many things like race, sex, preference, but who fights for equality in this? After reading the comments here I see that other countries have it, so why not the US?

@203 The minimum wage applies to wait staff too. The tip credit allows employers to use tips to pay for up to $5.12/hour of a tipped employee's wage, but the employer must make up the difference if the tips are not sufficient to bring an employee's income up to the federal minimum wage. For example: If a server makes $10/hour in tips, the employer can apply $5.12/hour of those tips toward his or her federal minimum wage obligation. If a server makes $0/hour in tips, the employer must pay the employee the full $7.25/hour.

Yes, I know that from your comments throughout this post and I thank you for the information since I didn't know that before. What I mean is that tips should not be part of the salary but in addition to the salary. Most people give you a tip because they think you did a great job and want to give a little extra as a reward. It's not extra if you have to report it and you get compensation from the employer to fill in the rest. Also from reading the comments, not everyone is honest while reporting their tips. Whether they report low because they also believe it should be in addition to and not instead of their wages or too high for fear of being fired for being a poor employee. Hence the dependance on customers generosity.

Hope someone leaves a double tip to cover it...

That's awful. I work at Sonic and a restaurant called O'Charley's and apparently some people think that 2 pennies and folded napkins with numbers on them are tips. Perhaps if you don't have bills to pay then it wouldn't be so bad, but this month has been rough too. I hope everything gets better for you, OP! Totally feel your pain! :(