By Anonymous - 02/04/2011 21:05 - United States

Today, while shopping, I was grabbed and dragged off to a security room with no warning. Apparently, the way I was dressed and walking was suspicious. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 525
You deserved it 5 058

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Mokiikom_fml 8

To all the people saying they had probable cause etc. and that OP couldn't do anything: Are you so used to living in a police state deprived of all freedoms that you have completely forgotten even the most basic rules of logic and life, not only in a free land but even in nanny-state-land??? There is NO probable cause whatsoever, he said he was grabbed in the store and dragged to a security room. Private security has NO right to drag anyone anywhere, that is called assault and illegal detention. The POLICE are the only ones who have the right to invoke probable cause to do anything, and even then, they have to have some seriously good proof, otherwise it will be a complaint to their PD and even a pro-bono lawyer will get you out of the issue very easily. Cops get in trouble all the time when they search people without consent or detain people without proper probable cause. Private security has NO jurisdiction, all they can legally do is ask you to go with them to the room etc. They will try to intimidate you and make it sound like they have a right to, but you are perfectly legally allowed to just ignore them talking to you and walk right out of the store. They can NOT do anything to you, it will be assault the very instant they touch you. America, even Kalifornia, have a thing called the Constitution, in which another nifty thing, the 4th amendment, prevents abuse of authority and illegal searches, so that people won't abuse their power just because they're a cop. In the case of private security it's even more direct, they have no right to detain you whatsoever. They can search you if you consented to it for the sake of getting into a stadium or other such thing, but they can't prevent you from leaving a place or drag you anywhere on the excuse they dislike your clothes or whatever.

Comments

riceicle1 6

Argh, Pedobear I told you the "Down with Americans and up with child ****" shirt doesn't go well with the goose step :/

Autoshot 9

He was walking like he was hiding an xbox 360 in his rectum.

houstontxmex 0

What kind of a world do we live in where a hoochie momma can't dress for success in her sparkly leopard miniskirt and red pumps with big purple bag?

Even if a female dressed in that fashion, it doesn't automatically mean she's going to steal. IMO, that's not a "potential thief" look. If you want to go that route, you're just as likely to steal, with those jeans and that baggy T-shirt you're wearing.

I also had a friend that was stopped, for looking "suspicious" at a store, and they called the cops....only problem is that he DOES look suspicious!! lol

perdix 29

Sometimes, when one goes out with wearing a thong and a crop top, one's beer gut can overhang in such a way that it appears that one is nude from the waist down. Cops and security guards can make quite hurtful remarks after they've taken an individual thusly clad to a private room and lifted up the belly to see the sexy thong. Or so I've heard. Friend of a friend, y'know.

AlunKey 0

I think we have the same friend.

perdix 29

That look can be quite stylish and classy, especially when I shave my belly hair into intricate geometric patterns. I mean "he" -- when "he" shaves his belly hair! Yeah, that's it.

kpsmith 0

You wear a Nixon mask, a trench coat, tube socks and running shoes?

Carter mask!!! rock on soldier!!!!

come on don't they know what a terrorist looks like by now?

Mimiroxxi 0

some of them look just like regular people...wtf

sue the *******! I would have called 911 and reported I was being held against my will (kidnapped). when the cops arrived, they will write a report. you could have people arrested!!

Iciac 0

If you were physically touched, then you should be successful in suing for Battery. Centre guards are generally not allowed to do more than request that you accompany them for questioning. Furthermore, you should be reasonably successful in suing for False Imprisonment. I'm not certain for America, but in Australia the law is quite clear from Myer v Soo. You are well within your rights to pursue legal action.

exactly right centre management and security cannot lay a hand on you the only people that can are the cops. so basically even if they laid a finger on you, you can sue. you may then ask what's the point of security guards. well they usually make their "arrests" by making the "offender" believe they are and that if they run then they can do something about it. if any security guard pulls me up I tell them to get ******.